* project prefix and mark-page
@ 2021-07-21  7:49 Manuel Uberti
From: Manuel Uberti @ 2021-07-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

since this is more of a curiosity than a bug report I am asking it here.

I heavily rely on project.el so many of my daily Emacs interactions start with
C-x p. However, if I do not release CTRL quick enough before hitting p I end up
with C-x C-p, which is bound to mark-page.

Now, after C-x p I usually hit p to select a project or f to find a file in the
current project. So it often happens that by mistake I hit C-x C-p p or C-x C-p
f, which is not what I was after.

To avoid this, I disabled C-x C-p in my configuration since I never use it. But
I was wondering: is this a "problem" only for me or are C-x p and C-x C-p too
close to be bound to such different commands?

Thank you

--
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu

* Re: project prefix and mark-page
@ 2021-07-21  9:20 ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2021-07-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

You bring up a valid point, but I think it's not prudent to mess with established keybindings (even if few people are using those). Given how few options we have in the global keymap, I guess we were quite lucky that `C-x p` was available in the first place.

I think a simple solution for you would be to just rebind `C-x C-p` (I assume you don't need it) or add local bindings `C-c p`  and `C-c C-p`. I'm a big fan of such "symmetric" keybindings and I use them all the time.

@ 2021-07-21 10:43   ` Manuel Uberti
From: Manuel Uberti @ 2021-07-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 21/07/21 11:20, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
> I think a simple solution for you would be to just rebind `C-x C-p` (I assume
> you don't need it) or add local bindings `C-c p`  and `C-c C-p`. I'm a big fan
> of such "symmetric" keybindings and I use them all the time.

Yes, like I said I am disabling C-x C-p in my configuration.

C-c p and C-c C-p are nice suggestions, though, thanks. I was using them with
Projectile before, but I have to say nowadays I try to stick with the default
key bindings as much as possible in order to better understand what is going
before re-binding built-in functionalities to different keys.

Anyway, if there are historical reasons for C-x C-p I understand completely and
I can work around my problem in my init.el.

--

@ 2021-07-21 11:16     ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2021-07-21 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The mark-* keybindings are all over the place and they are hardly consistent (e.g. check out the bindings for sexp, defun and paragraph), but I guess in the case of mark-page the "p" in C-x C-p does carry some meaning. It would have been nice if all of those used some consistent prefix (e.g. how easy-kill does things), but I think this ship has sailed, as a lot of people are quite used to the current keybindings.

@ 2021-07-21 12:28       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 14:16:54 +0300
> From: "Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.com>
>
> The mark-* keybindings are all over the place and they are hardly consistent (e.g. check out the bindings for
> sexp, defun and paragraph)

Are they really inconsistent?  Could you elaborate?

* Re: project prefix and mark-page
@ 2021-07-21 12:43         ` Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2021-07-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

mark-sexp - C-M-@
mark-defn - C-M-h
mark-paragraph - M-h
mark-page - C-x C-p

They don't seem very consistent to me. I also find it weird that the very useful mark-sexp has a pretty uncomfortable default keybinding.

@ 2021-07-21 13:05           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-07-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

  mark-word M-@
> mark-defn - C-M-h
> mark-paragraph - M-h
  mark-whole-buffer C-x h
> mark-page - C-x C-p
>
> They don't seem very consistent to me.

I added mark-word, mark-whole-buffer, and some alternative bindings.

Variants of M-@ are used because C-@ sets the mark. For the same
reason you have C-M-SPC for mark-sexp. Variants of C-x h or M-h are
also somewhat consistent.

> I also find it weird that the very useful mark-sexp has a pretty
> uncomfortable default keybinding.

It isn't uncomfortable here, FWIW.

* Re: project prefix and mark-page
@ 2021-07-21 15:02             ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-07-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> mark-sexp - C-M-@ C-M-SPC
>   mark-word M-@
>> mark-defn - C-M-h
>> mark-paragraph - M-h
>   mark-whole-buffer C-x h
>> mark-page - C-x C-p

All of the above have gone into my muscle memory now. On macos, I had to
retrain my fingers for set-mark-command. To set mark, C-SPC doesn’t work
on mac (reserved for something else) so I now use C-@ i.e. C-Shift-@
... three keys.

* Re: project prefix and mark-page
@ 2021-07-21 15:40             ` Manuel Uberti
From: Manuel Uberti @ 2021-07-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 21/07/21 15:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I also find it weird that the very useful mark-sexp has a pretty
>> uncomfortable default keybinding.
>
> It isn't uncomfortable here, FWIW.

I use C-M-SPC all the time, mark-sexp is definitely a great command and that key
binding is easier to type.

However, I do not use C-M-@ (nor M-@) because on my Italian keyboard the @
character requires AltGr to be typed and I find M-AltGr-@ not too comfortable a
combination.