* completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-07 17:44 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-12-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've noticed that recently, completion has started inheriting the
read-only property.

Test: if you have a string in a read-only buffer
e.g. foobarbasbar

and you then type foo and complete it to foobarbasbar  using
command `complete' then the completed string ends up read-only.

This is an irritant because if this happens to you in a mail
composition buffer (I use vm) then sending mail fails because
part of the buffer is read-only --- you end up having to eval
the appropriate lisp expression to remove the read-only property
with something like:
(let ((inhibit-read-only t))
    (put-text-property start end
                       'read-only nil))

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-07 22:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-12-07 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

T. V. Raman wrote:
> I've noticed that recently, completion has started inheriting the
> read-only property.
>
> Test: if you have a string in a read-only buffer
> e.g. foobarbasbar
>
> and you then type foo and complete it to foobarbasbar  using
> command `complete' then the completed string ends up read-only.

What is this command `complete'?  What major and minor modes are
you using and how do you invoke `complete'?

--
Kevin

* Re: completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-08  5:04 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-08  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Test: if you have a string in a read-only buffer
    e.g. foobarbasbar

    and you then type foo and complete it to foobarbasbar  using
    command `complete' then the completed string ends up read-only.

This is clearly a bug, but the test case is not clear to me.
I am not sure what precisely to type so as to reproduce the bug.
Could you please send a precise test case to use for debugging?

* Re: completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-13  3:11   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-12-13  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Hard to create a test case ...
mostly because just making a buffer read-only doesn't put the
read-only property on a string. But certain Emacs apps
emacs-jabber is one that comes to mind, carefully annotate
portions of the buffer with the read-only property --- and when
completion picks up one of those strings, the bug appears to
bite.

This is one of those things that happens a couple of times a week
while you're using emacs fluently, and it's difficult to
reproduce the exact circumstances.

@ 2006-12-13  3:12   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-12-13  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Somewhat surprized by the question "what is this command
`complete'" my emacs says:
complete is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `completion.el'.
It is bound to  CONTROL RETURN ,  META SPACE .
(complete &optional ARG)

Fill out a completion of the word before point.
Point is left at end.  Consecutive calls rotate through all possibilities.
Prefix args ::
  control-u :: leave the point at the beginning of the completion rather
               than at the end.
  a number  :: rotate through the possible completions by that amount
  `-'       :: same as -1 (insert previous completion)
 {See the comments at the top of `completion.el' for more info.}

This function is advised.

Around-advice `emacspeak':
Say what you completed.

[back]

@ 2006-12-13 22:02     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-13 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: raman, emacs-devel

We really need a test case so we can fix it.
Or, if you can figure out what part of the code does this
inheritance, maybe we can fix it from that.

* Re: completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-14 18:43     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-12-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

T. V. Raman wrote:
> Hard to create a test case ...
> mostly because just making a buffer read-only doesn't put the
> read-only property on a string.

(put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'read-only t)

--
Kevin

* Re: completion should not inherit read-only property
@ 2006-12-14 18:48     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-12-14 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

T. V. Raman wrote:
> Somewhat surprized by the question "what is this command
> `complete'" my emacs says:
> complete is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `completion.el'.
 > It is bound to  CONTROL RETURN ,  META SPACE .

Not in emacs -Q: completion.el is not dumped into the emacs executable,
nor are are any key sequences bound to its only autoloaded function
(dynamic-completion-mode).

--
Kevin