* Some stats regarding emacs modernisation discussions
@ 2020-09-16 11:36 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2020-09-16 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I wanted to share a couple numbers regarding the current discussions and
suggest that it might be good idea to break this discussion off into its
own mailing list, given it looks like the volume of it will be
consistently high for some time to come, dominating emacs-devel.

# of messages so far: 1392
# of messages Sep 2019: 678
Avg messages 2020: 1332
# of unique authors this month: 131

Top authors by # of messages this month:
| 150 | Eli     | Zaretskii    |        |
| 118 | Ergus   |              |        |
|  84 | Richard | Stallman     |        |
|  74 | Stefan  | Monnier      |        |
|  70 | Dmitry  | Gutov        |        |
|  60 | Drew    | Adams        |        |
|  59 | Göktuğ  | Kayaalp      |        |
|  57 | Lars    | Ingebrigtsen |        |
|  46 | Stefan  | Kangas       |        |
|  44 | Gregory | Heytings     |        |
|  41 | Robert  | Pluim        |        |
|  39 | tomas   |              |        |
|  39 | Alfred  | M.           | Szmidt |
|  27 | Arthur  | Miller       |        |
|  24 | Ricardo | Wurmus       |        |
|  20 | Thibaut | Verron       |        |
|  19 | T.V     | Raman        |        |
|  19 | Daniel  | Martín       |        |
|  18 | Juri    | Linkov       |        |
|  18 | Andrea  | Corallo      |        |

See attached org file for how this was calculated.

P.S.: I also feel like I’ve posted too many messages so far, judging
from the table above, so I’ll stop that.  Sorry if I’ve inadvertently
spammed the list and repeated myself in some places.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427

[-- Attachment #2: org sources --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 2542 bytes --]

#+title: Some stats regarding emacs modernisation discussions

Uses coreutils, curl, elisp, and pandoc.

* Message count

#+begin_src sh
curl https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/index.html \
  | pandoc --from=html --to=markdown --wrap=none \
  | grep "^    -   \\[" \
  | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 1392

* Message count last september

#+begin_src sh
curl https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/index.html \
  | pandoc --from=html --to=markdown --wrap=none \
  | grep "^    -   \\[" \
  | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 678

* Average last year

#+begin_src sh
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8; do
curl https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-0$i/index.html \
  | pandoc --from=html --to=markdown --wrap=none \
  | grep "^    -   \\[" \
  | wc -l
done
#+end_src

#+name: ret
#+RESULTS:
|  981 |
|  331 |
| 1042 |
| 2107 |
| 3434 |
|  902 |
|  766 |
| 1093 |

#+begin_src elisp :var x=ret
(/ (apply #'+ (mapcar #'car x)) (float (length x)))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 1332.0

* Unique authors

#+begin_src sh
curl https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/index.html \
  | pandoc --from=html --to=markdown --wrap=none \
  | grep "^    -   \\[" \
  | sed -E 's/^.*, \*(.*)\*,.*$/\1/' \
  | sort | uniq | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 131

* Top authors by number of messages

#+begin_src sh
curl https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/index.html \
  | pandoc --from=html --to=markdown --wrap=none \
  | grep "^    -   \\[" \
  | sed -E 's/^.*, \*(.*)\*,.*$/\1/' \
  | sort | uniq -c | sort -bnr | head -20
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| 150 | Eli     | Zaretskii    |        |
| 118 | Ergus   |              |        |
|  84 | Richard | Stallman     |        |
|  74 | Stefan  | Monnier      |        |
|  70 | Dmitry  | Gutov        |        |
|  60 | Drew    | Adams        |        |
|  59 | Göktuğ  | Kayaalp      |        |
|  57 | Lars    | Ingebrigtsen |        |
|  46 | Stefan  | Kangas       |        |
|  44 | Gregory | Heytings     |        |
|  41 | Robert  | Pluim        |        |
|  39 | tomas   |              |        |
|  39 | Alfred  | M.           | Szmidt |
|  27 | Arthur  | Miller       |        |
|  24 | Ricardo | Wurmus       |        |
|  20 | Thibaut | Verron       |        |
|  19 | T.V     | Raman        |        |
|  19 | Daniel  | Martín       |        |
|  18 | Juri    | Linkov       |        |
|  18 | Andrea  | Corallo      |        |

* RE: Some stats regarding emacs modernisation discussions
@ 2020-09-16 14:41 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-09-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp, emacs-devel

> it might be good idea to break this discussion off into its
> own mailing list

No, please, no.

> given it looks like the volume of it will be
> consistently high for some time to come, dominating
> emacs-devel.

Not at all.  It comes around from time to time.
It by no means dominates emacs-devel, nor should it.

You have a very parochial, local, immediate impression
of this mailing list.

Look in the archives, to see how much this subject
"dominates" the list:

@ 2020-09-16 22:24   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-09-16 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Göktuğ Kayaalp, emacs-devel