* Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30  9:56 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-09-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:

make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"
Compiling mail/rmailmm.el

In toplevel form:
mail/rmailmm.el:78:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void:
rmail-spool-directory
Makefile:284: set di istruzioni per l'obiettivo "mail/rmailmm.elc" non
riuscito
make[2]: *** [mail/rmailmm.elc] Errore 1
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"

The build of trunk r. 117969 does not show that error.

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 12:52 ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2014-09-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue 30 Sep 2014, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:

> make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"
> Compiling mail/rmailmm.el
>
> In toplevel form:
> mail/rmailmm.el:78:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> rmail-spool-directory
> Makefile:284: set di istruzioni per l'obiettivo "mail/rmailmm.elc" non
> riuscito
> make[2]: *** [mail/rmailmm.elc] Errore 1
> make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"
>
> The build of trunk r. 117969 does not show that error.
>

> Ciao,
> Angelo.

I have also seen this, but a bootstrap build solved it.

    AndyM

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 14:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-09-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:56:08 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>
> In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:

> make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"
> Compiling mail/rmailmm.el
>
> In toplevel form:
> mail/rmailmm.el:78:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> rmail-spool-directory
> Makefile:284: set di istruzioni per l'obiettivo "mail/rmailmm.elc" non
> riuscito
> make[2]: *** [mail/rmailmm.elc] Errore 1
> make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/tmp/emacs/lisp"
>
> The build of trunk r. 117969 does not show that error.

This is bug #18466, and it certainly isn't new.

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 15:28 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-09-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:

As I have said to you several time before, please stop reporting bugs to
the development list.

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 16:03   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2014-09-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

 >> In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:
 >
 > As I have said to you several time before, please stop reporting bugs to
 > the development list.

Some years ago we've been told on this list to not write bug reports for
failures of fresh builds (as these would get fixed immediately anyway)
but report the issue on this list.  But maybe my memory is failing :-(

Anyway, what's the recommended way when I see a thing like Angelo?

martin

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 17:06     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-09-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Emacs developers, Angelo Graziosi

martin rudalics wrote:

> Some years ago we've been told on this list to not write bug reports for
> failures of fresh builds (as these would get fixed immediately anyway)
> but report the issue on this list.

I believe I said "don't report obvious lisp compilation bootstrap fails
that affect all platforms anywhere without waiting a day or two",
especially not if hydra already flagged it. I don't recall saying to
report bugs to the development mailing list (rather than opposite, many
times over).

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 17:11       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-09-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Angelo Graziosi, Emacs developers

Glenn Morris wrote:

> I believe I said "don't report obvious lisp compilation bootstrap fails
> that affect all platforms anywhere without waiting a day or two",

PS this issue will have gone away again after 117983, so following the
above advice would have negated the need to "report" it.
But if you want to report it anywhere, report it to the bug list.

* Re: Error compiling rmailmm.el
@ 2014-09-30 17:12   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-09-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs developers

Il 30/09/2014 17:28, Glenn Morris ha scritto:
> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>
>> In trunk r. 117982 I find this error in the build log:
>
> As I have said to you several time before, please stop reporting bugs to
> the development list.

If I write to this list is because I do not think they are "strictly" bugs.

For example, in this case, I didn't see the the error in recent trunk as
rev. 117969 and, after a bootstrap, in rev. 117983. So, from my point of
view (just an user), I have some difficulties to consider it as a bug.
Increasing the bugs number for this kind of report could be even worse
that sending to this list. Pherhaps we are on the "boundaries" and
sending report here or to the BUGS list is matter of taste
(alternatively, if one is pessimistic [BUG list] or optimistic [HERE]).
But, maybe, I am wrong... Sorry!

@ 2014-09-30 17:18     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-09-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> If I write to this list is because I do not think they are "strictly" bugs.

Don't try to second-guess things like that, just make a bug report.