* more shell-pcomplete UI regressions
@ 2002-03-13  2:55 Noah Friedman
From: Noah Friedman @ 2002-03-13  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I cannot complete file names that have spaces in them, even if I put
backslashes in front of the spaces.

For instance this used to work:

    ~ $ ls /com/mp3/albums/King\ Cr<TAB>
    -| ~ $ ls /com/mp3/albums/King\ Crimson/

But now I get no matches even though "King Crimson" shows up in the
completions window if I type King<TAB>.  (If I pick some name that doesn't
have many possible completions then one of them is inserted into the
buffer; but if there are many, there is currently no way for me to finish
the match manually so that the rest will complete.)

Also, this fails:

    ~ $ ls '/com/mp3/albums/King<TAB>
    ->  (file-error "Opening directory" "no such file or directory" "/home/friedman/'/com/mp3/albums/")

In the old comint-dynamic-complete world, the leading quote enables
comint-dynamic-complete to insert filenames without backslashifying all the
spaces or other shell metacharacters.

* Re: more shell-pcomplete UI regressions
@ 2002-03-13  4:48 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2002-03-13  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For instance this used to work:

> ~ $ ls /com/mp3/albums/King\ Cr<TAB>
>     -| ~ $ ls /com/mp3/albums/King\ Crimson/

> ~ $ ls '/com/mp3/albums/King<TAB>

> In the old comint-dynamic-complete world, the leading quote enables
> comint-dynamic-complete to insert filenames without backslashifying
> all the spaces or other shell metacharacters.

Ah, this means the argument parsing function being used by pcomplete
for shell-mode is not good enough.  Since that is entirely
customizable, it could be fixed without touching pcomplete.

I guess it depends on whether RMS wants to try to make pcomplete work
or not.  If so, then I should probably use the old completion logic's
argument parsing function for use with pcomplete.

John

* Re: more shell-pcomplete UI regressions
@ 2002-03-13  5:25   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-03-13  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org> writes:
> I guess it depends on whether RMS wants to try to make pcomplete work
> or not.  If so, then I should probably use the old completion logic's
> argument parsing function for use with pcomplete.

Well, I vote for fixing up pcomplete to address all the issues that
have been raised, and then giving it another try.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.