* umask and permissions of installed files
@ 2009-09-03  1:07 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-09-03  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In connection with addressing bug#3800 I would like to ask: what is
the right thing to do wrt the installing user's umask when installing?

The two reasonable options would seem to be

i) ignore it, and make the install world-readable, with the exception
that pre-existing "common" directories should not have their
permissions altered, as requested in bug#3800. Ideally, the install
whould warn about any non-standard permissions.

ii) respect it, and don't mess with the permissions of the install at all

Option i) seems like the right thing to me.

At the moment, there is an inconsistent mish-mash of i) and ii).

* Re: umask and permissions of installed files
@ 2009-09-03  2:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-03  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In connection with addressing bug#3800 I would like to ask: what is
> the right thing to do wrt the installing user's umask when installing?

> The two reasonable options would seem to be

> i) ignore it, and make the install world-readable, with the exception
> that pre-existing "common" directories should not have their
> permissions altered, as requested in bug#3800. Ideally, the install
> whould warn about any non-standard permissions.

> ii) respect it, and don't mess with the permissions of the install at all

> Option i) seems like the right thing to me.

> At the moment, there is an inconsistent mish-mash of i) and ii).

What's the "standard procedure"?
Obviously, Emacs is not the first package to face this question.

* Re: umask and permissions of installed files
@ 2009-09-03  3:16   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-09-03  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> What's the "standard procedure"?
> Obviously, Emacs is not the first package to face this question.

I found the question repeated a few times, but haven't found a clear answer:

curl:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/tracker-2008-01/0077.html

automake:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-automake/2003-05/msg00004.html

install.sh seems to set directories to 755.

Maybe someone here can tell us...

* Re: umask and permissions of installed files
@ 2009-09-03  7:44   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-09-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> In connection with addressing bug#3800 I would like to ask: what is
>> the right thing to do wrt the installing user's umask when installing?
>
>> The two reasonable options would seem to be
>
>> i) ignore it, and make the install world-readable, with the exception
>> that pre-existing "common" directories should not have their
>> permissions altered, as requested in bug#3800. Ideally, the install
>> whould warn about any non-standard permissions.
>
>> ii) respect it, and don't mess with the permissions of the install at all
>
>> Option i) seems like the right thing to me.
>
>> At the moment, there is an inconsistent mish-mash of i) and ii).
>
> What's the "standard procedure"?

The "standard procedure" is to use install which ignores umask.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: umask and permissions of installed files
@ 2009-09-03  7:54     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-09-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
> The "standard procedure" is to use install which ignores umask.

Does emacs use "install" for everything?  I thought it did some weird
stuff with elisp files...

-miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature
of the Unknowable.