* Emacs 27 master consumes more memory than 26 and freezes regularly
@ 2019-08-31 15:46 Akater
From: Akater @ 2019-08-31 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have built emacs 27 from master yesterday (2019-08-30). According to
`ps u`, it cosumes at least 3 times more memory than emacs 26.3, soon
after it's started, and regularly becomes irresponsive, several hours
after start. Looks like it is always triggered by a user action, even if
insignificant, i.e. emacs doesn't seem to freeze when idle. When it
does, it makes the whole system significantly less responsive, and has
to be killed.

Compiled with harfbuzz 2.3.1 and imagemagick 7.0.8.56, without cairo. I
could try different combinations of configure options and report further
if needed.

I run two emacs instances, a GUI instance as window manager (exwm), and
a daemon for emergency cases. Both instances consume more memory than
v26 counterparts did; however, GUI instance gets there sooner than the
other one.

Otherwise, 27 feels more stable than 26 and faster too, especially
w.r.t. startup time in tty and completion responsiveness (helm) in GUI.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs 27 master consumes more memory than 26 and freezes regularly
@ 2019-08-31 16:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-08-31 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akater; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Akater <nuclearspace@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 15:46:13 +0000
>
> I have built emacs 27 from master yesterday (2019-08-30). According to
> `ps u`, it cosumes at least 3 times more memory than emacs 26.3, soon
> after it's started, and regularly becomes irresponsive, several hours
> after start. Looks like it is always triggered by a user action, even if
> insignificant, i.e. emacs doesn't seem to freeze when idle. When it
> does, it makes the whole system significantly less responsive, and has
> to be killed.

I presume this is due to the unsolved issue with GC: once
gc-cons-threshold is set to a large value, it effectively disables GC
for the rest of the session, even if after that gc-cons-threshold is
reset back.  If some of your customizations do something like that,
try invoking GC manually, via "M-x garbage-collect RET", after
gc-cons-threshold is set back to its nominal value, and see if the
problem with memory consumption goes away.

* Re: Emacs 27 master consumes more memory than 26 and freezes regularly
@ 2019-08-31 19:24   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2019-08-31 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Akater; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> once
> gc-cons-threshold is set to a large value, it effectively disables GC
> for the rest of the session, even if after that gc-cons-threshold is
> reset back

Yes, that's next on my list of things to look at, after untangling this XDG
configuration mess.