* HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2016-12-16  4:08 raman
From: raman @ 2016-12-16  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I remember doing this in the dim past using "G G" in gnus, but I get "no
results" for all queries now so I suspect something has changed.

Are there any specific settings that affect this behavior?

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2016-12-16 13:54 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-12-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

raman <raman@google.com> writes:

> I remember doing this in the dim past using "G G" in gnus, but I get "no
> results" for all queries now so I suspect something has changed.

If this is about searching the Gmane newsgroup, that's no longer
supported.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2016-12-16 16:17   ` raman
From: raman @ 2016-12-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sigh -- yes it was about searching groups on gmane.

For emacs-devel I can still use nimap  via GMail, but gmane

@ 2017-02-24  1:31   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-02-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

> If this is about searching the Gmane newsgroup, that's no longer
> supported.

I have a question: When I know there was a thread in emacs-dev, say, 1
year ago, that I want to revive, is there any way better than fetching
the last N thousands of messages from the server (/ o) and using text
search?

How do others do this?  Is everybody cultivating his own private archive
of emacs-devel?

Michael.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-24  3:49     ` raman
From: raman @ 2017-02-24  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Effectively yes -- in my case that archive is GMail. Still wish there
was a more generic solution.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-24  7:05     ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2017-02-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen
  Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Tino Calancha, raman, Emacs developers

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> If this is about searching the Gmane newsgroup, that's no longer
>> supported.
>
> I have a question: When I know there was a thread in emacs-dev, say, 1
> year ago, that I want to revive, is there any way better than fetching
> the last N thousands of messages from the server (/ o) and using text
> search?
>
> How do others do this?  Is everybody cultivating his own private archive
> of emacs-devel?
You can use `eww' to get the message-id:
I)
M-x: eww https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/ RET
;; Do a search of some words related with the topic you are looking for.
;; For instance,
Search emacs-devel using gnus

;; Let's pick up the first result:
M-x eww-view-source RET
;; Go to beginning of buffer.  You can get the Message-id and
;; several cross reference.

II)
Now, you can call `gnus-summary-goto-article' with first arg
the message ID in I).

j MESSAGE-ID RET

For short threads is OK, but for long threads,
sometimes is time consuming to get the right message id.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-24 23:34       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-02-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, raman, Emacs developers

Hi Tino!

Thanks for your answer, it probably saved me a lot of time to invent
this myself.

> You can use `eww' to get the message-id:
> I)
> M-x: eww https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/ RET
> ;; Do a search of some words related with the topic you are looking for.
> ;; For instance,
> Search emacs-devel using gnus
>
> ;; Let's pick up the first result:
> M-x eww-view-source RET

Aka v in my eww version.

> ;; Go to beginning of buffer.  You can get the Message-id and
> ;; several cross reference.
>
> II)
> Now, you can call `gnus-summary-goto-article' with first arg
> the message ID in I).
>
> j MESSAGE-ID RET

Yip, works like a charm!

> For short threads is OK, but for long threads, sometimes is time
> consuming to get the right message id.

Once I have the id of one message from that thread, I can use A T
(`gnus-summary-refer-thread': "Fetch all articles in the current
thread.") and search from within Gnus.

Thanks again,

Michael.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-24 23:37         ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2017-02-24 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael_heerdegen; +Cc: larsi, emacs-devel, raman, tino.calancha

could someone automate this away with an elisp function:-)

@ 2017-02-25  1:16           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-02-25  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: larsi, emacs-devel, tino.calancha

raman@google.com (T.V Raman) writes:

> could someone automate this away with an elisp function:-)

Or set up some kind of server that you could...

;-P

Yeah, it would be good if this would be doable (again) without leaving
Gnus.

Michael.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-25  2:11         ` Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2017-02-25  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen
  Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers, raman, Tino Calancha

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> ;; Go to beginning of buffer.  You can get the Message-id and
>> ;; several cross reference.
>>
>> II)
>> Now, you can call `gnus-summary-goto-article' with first arg
>> the message ID in I).
>>
>> j MESSAGE-ID RET
Sometimes i choose a message-id which Gnus cannot fetch.
Usually after inspection i find that message-id has embedded html.
E.g. see '&45;' below:
047a67ec&#45;9e29&#45;7e4e&#45;0fb0&#45;24c3e59b5886@dancol.org

You must translate '&#45;' to '-', then the article is found:
047a67ec-9e29-7e4e-0fb0-24c3e59b5886@dancol.org

(It must exist one Emacs function translating those '&#foo;' somewhere)

>> For short threads is OK, but for long threads, sometimes is time
>> consuming to get the right message id.
>
> Once I have the id of one message from that thread, I can use A T
> (`gnus-summary-refer-thread': "Fetch all articles in the current
> thread.") and search from within Gnus.
That greatly improve the receipt! Thank you!

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-27  0:58           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-02-27  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, raman, Emacs developers

Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes i choose a message-id which Gnus cannot fetch.
> Usually after inspection i find that message-id has embedded html.
> E.g. see '&45;' below:
> 047a67ec&#45;9e29&#45;7e4e&#45;0fb0&#45;24c3e59b5886@dancol.org
>
> You must translate '&#45;' to '-', then the article is found:
> 047a67ec-9e29-7e4e-0fb0-24c3e59b5886@dancol.org
>
> (It must exist one Emacs function translating those '&#foo;'
> somewhere)

Seems like `xml--entity-replacement-text' can be used.  Dunno if it's
correct to use it here and if it always works.  There's also
`url-unhex-string' but that's for %... escaped characters.

Michael.

* Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
@ 2017-02-27 16:19             ` raman
From: raman @ 2017-02-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers, Tino Calancha

Stepping back, given that gmane.org is run  by folks likely friendlier
to the cause of accessing Web  documents independent of one or two
mainstream browsers, perhaps we should step back and design a good
RESTful API, rather than scraping HTML as one is usually forced to do
when dealing with other Web sites.

At the end of the day, this list/newsgroup along with other related
groups should be geared toward speeding up development of Free Software,
and if that requires good APIs rather than time spent scraping HTML, I
hope we can pick the former.