* Re: Profiling font-lock in xemacs
@ 2002-06-27 21:55 Ben Wing
From: Ben Wing @ 2002-06-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ben, bws, xemacs-design, emacs-devel

what we do is something like this:

--all the signal handler does is set a flag. (this flag also gets set by a
0.25-second asynchronous timer, on systems like MS Windows that have no
SIGIO.)

--QUIT notices this, which causes it (on most platforms) to drain the input
queue, storing it into an internal "dispatch queue".  we iterate through
this to look for C-g. (under X we actually use something like XCheckIfInput
(i forget the proper name) instead of draining the queue, but that's bogus
and left over from a long time ago and should be fixed like the other
platforms.) the dispatch queue is one of the sources of next-event (your
read-event).

i don't think sigchld should do *anything* except set a flag.

ben

>From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>
>To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>CC: monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu, ben_wing@hotmail.com, ben@666.com,
>bws@deepcopy.org, xemacs-design@xemacs.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: Profiling font-lock in xemacs
>Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:40:36 -0400
>
> > Emacs does not do very much in signal handlers now.  For sigchld it
> > just records the status, something that is best done right away.
> > XTread_socket is complex; if some of that can be done later on, that
> > might be good.  But it can't wait too long.  For instance, quit has to
> > be detected reasonably soon.  Perhaps the QUIT macro could run the
> > code to process the input.
> >
> > On the other hand, this code works; we have had little problem with
> > it for a long time.
>
>The problem is indeed XTread_socket.  It is complex and it has
>introduced really nasty bugs which were very difficult to trace.
>Also, it is dangerous to try to extend its functionality because
>it is run asynchronously (the recent "selected-window follows mouse"
>patch is a case in point).
>
>I think it would be worth it to try and move the bulk of it out of the
>signal handler as the XEmacs folks did.  I haven't checked when the do
>the "check for input".  Doing it from QUIT is indeed one obvious
>possibility.
>

>	Stefan

[parent not found: <F102hm4mRK4dGDNhxKL00000226@hotmail.com>]
* Re: Profiling font-lock in xemacs
@ 2002-06-29 19:34 Ben Wing
From: Ben Wing @ 2002-06-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs, ben, bws, xemacs-design, emacs-devel

>From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>To: ben_wing@hotmail.com
>CC: monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu, ben@666.com, bws@deepcopy.org,
>xemacs-design@xemacs.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: Profiling font-lock in xemacs
>Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 02:41:06 -0600 (MDT)
>
>It would be better not to have a delay of even .25 second in handling
>C-g.  It ought to respond crisply.

of course, this is only on systems without SIGIO, where we have no choice
but to implement such a thing.

>If the delay were made smaller, eventually it would be insignificant.
>I don't know at what point that is reached.

.25 second is pretty small.  the smaller you go, of course, the more cpu
time you potentially use up.

>Currently on some systems C-g handling can involve a delay of up to 1
>second, the wait for "polling for input".  That's because when it was
>implemented there was no better facility to use than `alarm'.
>Nowadays I gather there is one; we should change the polling interval
>to something shorter than a second.

setitimer() on unix systems.