unofficial mirror of emacs-devel@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
       [not found] ` <20240207021926.D02DFC0EFFF@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2024-02-07  2:41   ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07  2:46     ` Dmitry Gutov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Dmitry Gutov

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> branch: master
> commit eb90fb52b08a16ae2bdc8bad6929492b9e693f72
> Author: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
> Commit: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
>     elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
>     
>     * lisp/progmodes/elixir-ts-mode.el (elixir-ts--font-lock-settings):
>     Rename feature 'elixir-function-name' to 'elixir-definition' and
>     update all deferences.  Add parameters' highlighting with
>     font-lock-variable-name-face.  Change variable references'
>     highlighting to use font-lock-variable-use-face.
>     Move the feature 'elixir-variable' from feature level 3 to level 4, to
>     match other ts modes (bug#67246).

This commit message is too wide.  Please fill commit messages so that
they remain within 64 columns, in turn preventing generated ChangeLog
entries from exceeding 72 columns.

Failure to observe these procedures is no harmless oversight, it
complicates the release process not-insignificantly by creating log
entries that must be reformatted by hand.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master 8a39216ce92 3/3: elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions
       [not found] ` <20240207021928.554D1C0EFED@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2024-02-07  2:45   ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07  2:49     ` Dmitry Gutov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Wilhelm Kirschbaum

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> branch: master
> commit 8a39216ce920d82b86a40471429e30d75c6ee42d
> Author: Wilhelm Kirschbaum <wkirschbaum@gmail.com>
> Commit: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
>     elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions
>     
>     * lisp/progmodes/elixir-ts-mode.el (elixir-ts--font-lock-settings):
>     Also highlight method definitions where the arguments are literal
>     values, not identifiers (bug#67246).

Wilhelm, this commit message is too wide.  In your future contributions,
please fill commit messages so that they remain within 64 columns, in
turn preventing generated ChangeLog entries from exceeding 72 columns.
Typing `M-q' within a *vc-log* buffer will suffice most of the time.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  2:41   ` master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes Po Lu
@ 2024-02-07  2:46     ` Dmitry Gutov
  2024-02-07  2:47       ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-02-07  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, emacs-devel

On 07/02/2024 04:41, Po Lu wrote:
> This commit message is too wide.  Please fill commit messages so that
> they remain within 64 columns, in turn preventing generated ChangeLog
> entries from exceeding 72 columns.

This is the width to which the message was reformatted by fill-paragraph 
(M-q) in vc-git-log-edit-mode.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  2:46     ` Dmitry Gutov
@ 2024-02-07  2:47       ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07  2:48         ` Dmitry Gutov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> On 07/02/2024 04:41, Po Lu wrote:
>> This commit message is too wide.  Please fill commit messages so that
>> they remain within 64 columns, in turn preventing generated ChangeLog
>> entries from exceeding 72 columns.
>
> This is the width to which the message was reformatted by
> fill-paragraph (M-q) in vc-git-log-edit-mode.

Set the fill column to 64 first with `C-x f'.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  2:47       ` Po Lu
@ 2024-02-07  2:48         ` Dmitry Gutov
  2024-02-07  3:14           ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-02-07  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 07/02/2024 04:47, Po Lu wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:
> 
>> On 07/02/2024 04:41, Po Lu wrote:
>>> This commit message is too wide.  Please fill commit messages so that
>>> they remain within 64 columns, in turn preventing generated ChangeLog
>>> entries from exceeding 72 columns.
>> This is the width to which the message was reformatted by
>> fill-paragraph (M-q) in vc-git-log-edit-mode.
> Set the fill column to 64 first with `C-x f'.

Sorry, I can't promise to do that every time I write a commit.

Some automated solution would work better.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master 8a39216ce92 3/3: elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions
  2024-02-07  2:45   ` master 8a39216ce92 3/3: elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions Po Lu
@ 2024-02-07  2:49     ` Dmitry Gutov
  2024-02-07  3:14       ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-02-07  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, emacs-devel; +Cc: Wilhelm Kirschbaum

On 07/02/2024 04:45, Po Lu wrote:
> Wilhelm, this commit message is too wide.  In your future contributions,
> please fill commit messages so that they remain within 64 columns, in
> turn preventing generated ChangeLog entries from exceeding 72 columns.
> Typing `M-q' within a*vc-log*  buffer will suffice most of the time.

I wrote this message as well.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  2:48         ` Dmitry Gutov
@ 2024-02-07  3:14           ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07 12:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
  2024-02-07 14:11             ` Dmitry Gutov
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> Sorry, I can't promise to do that every time I write a commit.

It's exceedingly simple to type `C-x f 64 M-q' before every commit.

There's nothing wrong with failing to observe these conventions on
occasion, but you mustn't refuse them in explicit terms; if you cannot
promise to try your best to meet our standards for commit messages,
what's to say our other standards won't also be flouted with the same
justification?

> Some automated solution would work better.

See what I just installed.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master 8a39216ce92 3/3: elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions
  2024-02-07  2:49     ` Dmitry Gutov
@ 2024-02-07  3:14       ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel, Wilhelm Kirschbaum

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> On 07/02/2024 04:45, Po Lu wrote:
>> Wilhelm, this commit message is too wide.  In your future contributions,
>> please fill commit messages so that they remain within 64 columns, in
>> turn preventing generated ChangeLog entries from exceeding 72 columns.
>> Typing `M-q' within a*vc-log*  buffer will suffice most of the time.
>
> I wrote this message as well.

Sorry for the noise.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  3:14           ` Po Lu
@ 2024-02-07 12:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
  2024-02-07 13:36               ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07 14:11             ` Dmitry Gutov
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-07 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: dmitry, emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 11:14:00 +0800
> 
> Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
> 
> > Sorry, I can't promise to do that every time I write a commit.
> 
> It's exceedingly simple to type `C-x f 64 M-q' before every commit.
> 
> There's nothing wrong with failing to observe these conventions on
> occasion, but you mustn't refuse them in explicit terms; if you cannot
> promise to try your best to meet our standards for commit messages,
> what's to say our other standards won't also be flouted with the same
> justification?
> 
> > Some automated solution would work better.
> 
> See what I just installed.

Isn't 64 too small a value?  The default for ChangeLog is 74, and you
need to subtract 9 for the TAB.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07 12:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
@ 2024-02-07 13:36               ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07 20:10                 ` Stefan Kangas
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-07 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: dmitry, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Isn't 64 too small a value?  The default for ChangeLog is 74, and you
> need to subtract 9 for the TAB.

For historical reasons, log-edit--insert-filled-defuns treats the
fill-column as being one character wider than its value, so a
fill-column of 64 produces entries that span up to 65 columns.  I'm not
aware of the reason for this strange behavior, only that it existed and
was faithfully reproduced in the rewrite.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07  3:14           ` Po Lu
  2024-02-07 12:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
@ 2024-02-07 14:11             ` Dmitry Gutov
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-02-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 07/02/2024 05:14, Po Lu wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
> 
>> Sorry, I can't promise to do that every time I write a commit.
> 
> It's exceedingly simple to type `C-x f 64 M-q' before every commit.
> 
> There's nothing wrong with failing to observe these conventions on
> occasion, but you mustn't refuse them in explicit terms; if you cannot
> promise to try your best to meet our standards for commit messages,
> what's to say our other standards won't also be flouted with the same
> justification?

Occasionally I forget to observe other conventions that require manual 
control. Your suggestion above was another addition to that which 
requires an extra key sequence and a magic number. I don't mean to be 
confrontational, that's just honest answer.

>> Some automated solution would work better.
> 
> See what I just installed.

Thanks.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07 13:36               ` Po Lu
@ 2024-02-07 20:10                 ` Stefan Kangas
  2024-02-08  1:51                   ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-02-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: dmitry, emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Isn't 64 too small a value?  The default for ChangeLog is 74, and you
>> need to subtract 9 for the TAB.

You need to subtract 8 for the TAB, right?

BTW, why not bump our ChangeLog default to 80?  This gives us a text
area that spans 72 characters excluding indentation, and will make our
ChangeLogs take up less vertical space without hurting readability.

> For historical reasons, log-edit--insert-filled-defuns treats the
> fill-column as being one character wider than its value, so a
> fill-column of 64 produces entries that span up to 65 columns.  I'm not
> aware of the reason for this strange behavior, only that it existed and
> was faithfully reproduced in the rewrite.

That sounds like a bug, on first approximation.  Especially if we don't
even know why it does that.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes
  2024-02-07 20:10                 ` Stefan Kangas
@ 2024-02-08  1:51                   ` Po Lu
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-08  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, dmitry, emacs-devel

Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:

> You need to subtract 8 for the TAB, right?
>
> BTW, why not bump our ChangeLog default to 80?  This gives us a text
> area that spans 72 characters excluding indentation, and will make our
> ChangeLogs take up less vertical space without hurting readability.

I find 72 slightly too wide for my tastes.  The important consideration
is consistency, however, so any change should wait until the Emacs 30
release (and not apply to the release branch).

> That sounds like a bug, on first approximation.  Especially if we don't
> even know why it does that.

People do rely on its being thus, so the bug has become a feature...



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2024-02-08  1:51 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 13+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <170727236611.7340.15825243453670865055@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
     [not found] ` <20240207021926.D02DFC0EFFF@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
2024-02-07  2:41   ` master eb90fb52b08 2/3: elixir-ts-mode: Bring the faces' use closer to other ts modes Po Lu
2024-02-07  2:46     ` Dmitry Gutov
2024-02-07  2:47       ` Po Lu
2024-02-07  2:48         ` Dmitry Gutov
2024-02-07  3:14           ` Po Lu
2024-02-07 12:46             ` Eli Zaretskii
2024-02-07 13:36               ` Po Lu
2024-02-07 20:10                 ` Stefan Kangas
2024-02-08  1:51                   ` Po Lu
2024-02-07 14:11             ` Dmitry Gutov
     [not found] ` <20240207021928.554D1C0EFED@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
2024-02-07  2:45   ` master 8a39216ce92 3/3: elixir-ts-mode: Highlight more method definitions Po Lu
2024-02-07  2:49     ` Dmitry Gutov
2024-02-07  3:14       ` Po Lu

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).