* Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15  5:54 Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-10-15  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

I don't know what I just typed, but somehow I managed to lose 4 large
shell buffers.

Usually when I have inferior shell processes running and hit C-x C-c,
I am prompted "Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway?"

A few minutes ago I had 4 running shell processes, one of them was
part-way through a build, I typed a few characters by mistake and
Emacs closed down completely.  I'm not sure what I typed, but I
certainly didn't type "yes RET", which I thought was the only way to
lose my shell buffers.  I didn't kill all 4 processes, either.  I was
holding the control key at the time, and could well have typed
something involving C-x C-c.

I see that C-u C-x C-c will silently save and quit, but even that
prompts about running processes.  So what happened?  And can I stop it
happening again?

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15  9:07 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-10-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

"Chris Moore" <christopher.ian.moore@gmail.com> writes:

> I see that C-u C-x C-c will silently save and quit, but even that
> prompts about running processes.  So what happened?  And can I stop it
> happening again?

Perhaps Emacs just crashed?  Try running it under gdb which makes it
possible to examine such a crash when it happens again.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15 10:08   ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-10-15 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 10/15/07, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> wrote:
> Perhaps Emacs just crashed?  Try running it under gdb which makes it
> possible to examine such a crash when it happens again.

Maybe, but I don't see a core dump from Emacs anywhere (and I see lots
from programs I work on), and I do have the feeling I hit <something>
C-x C-c <something> just before Emacs closed.

I suspect the new emacsclient behaviour - see the C-x C-c docstring:

"If emacsclient was started with a list of filenames to edit, then
only these files will be asked to be saved."

is there some combination of emacsclient calls that results in the
last remaining Emacs frame being closed without confirmation when
running processes exist?

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15 18:31   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, christopher.ian.moore

    > I see that C-u C-x C-c will silently save and quit, but even that
    > prompts about running processes.  So what happened?  And can I stop it
    > happening again?

    Perhaps Emacs just crashed?

If it had crashed, the shell would have printed a message to that
effect.  Did that happen?

				 Try running it under gdb which makes it
    possible to examine such a crash when it happens again.

It is a good idea to run Emacs under GDB all the time, in case something
crashed.  But it is unlikely he will type the same accidental input
a second time.  I don't think we can expect to get more info about
this problem that way.  I think deduction is the only tool we have
available.

I looked at the code in save-buffers-kill-emacs, and I cannot see any
way that it could bypass the confirmation about killing processes.

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15 19:05     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-10-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, christopher.ian.moore

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     > I see that C-u C-x C-c will silently save and quit, but even that
>     > prompts about running processes.  So what happened?  And can I stop it
>     > happening again?
>
>     Perhaps Emacs just crashed?
>
> If it had crashed, the shell would have printed a message to that
> effect.

This assumes that the shell that started it still exists or even existed
in the first place, which is rather unlikely nowadays.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-15 19:13     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-15 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, christopher.ian.moore, emacs-pretest-bug

>     Perhaps Emacs just crashed?
> If it had crashed, the shell would have printed a message to that
> effect.  Did that happen?

The shell may simply not be around any more (I often start some of my
programs via (foo&) so they do not interfere with process control of other
processes).

* Re: Emacs just closed with 4 running shell buffers
@ 2007-10-19 10:46       ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2007-10-19 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rms

On 10/15/07, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> > If it had crashed, the shell would have printed a message to that
> > effect.
>
> This assumes that the shell that started it still exists or even existed
> in the first place, which is rather unlikely nowadays.

I ran Emacs by clicking an icon in the panel at the top of the screen.
 I don't know where the message from Emacs would have ended up.  I've
not had the same problem again since.