* Incremental builds constantly regenerating the Lisp reference manual
@ 2024-03-10 21:05 Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2024-03-10 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

For the last few days, I've noticed that incremental builds (on
GNU/Linux) rebuild the Lisp reference manual every time, even if nothing
changed at all. This is a pain since it takes around 15s each time, when
a no-op incremental build should be (close to) instantaneous. Is anyone
else seeing this?

I can confirm this with a fresh checkout and then doing the following:

   autoreconf -fi
   ./configure
   make
   make

I always see something like the following output:

   make actual-all || make advice-on-failure make-target=all exit-status=$?
   make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jim/src/emacstest'
   make -C lib all
   make -C doc/lispref info
   make -C doc/lispintro info
   make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jim/src/emacstest/doc/lispref'
     GEN      ../../info/elisp.info
   make -C doc/emacs info
   make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jim/src/emacstest/doc/lispintro'
   make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.

* Re: Incremental builds constantly regenerating the Lisp reference manual
@ 2024-03-10 21:43 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2024-03-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Jim.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 14:05:05 -0700, Jim Porter wrote:
> For the last few days, I've noticed that incremental builds (on
> GNU/Linux) rebuild the Lisp reference manual every time, even if nothing
> changed at all. This is a pain since it takes around 15s each time, when
> a no-op incremental build should be (close to) instantaneous. Is anyone
> else seeing this?

Yes, I'm seeing this on doing $ make check.  I agree it's annoying: it
increases my run time from ~50 seconds to ~75 seconds.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Incremental builds constantly regenerating the Lisp reference manual
@ 2024-03-10 22:06 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2024-03-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mär 10 2024, Jim Porter wrote:

> For the last few days, I've noticed that incremental builds (on GNU/Linux)
> rebuild the Lisp reference manual every time, even if nothing changed at
> all. This is a pain since it takes around 15s each time, when a no-op
> incremental build should be (close to) instantaneous. Is anyone else
> seeing this?

Should be fixed now.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: Incremental builds constantly regenerating the Lisp reference manual
@ 2024-03-10 22:22   ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2024-03-10 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 3/10/2024 3:06 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 10 2024, Jim Porter wrote:
>
>> For the last few days, I've noticed that incremental builds (on GNU/Linux)
>> rebuild the Lisp reference manual every time, even if nothing changed at
>> all. This is a pain since it takes around 15s each time, when a no-op
>> incremental build should be (close to) instantaneous. Is anyone else
>> seeing this?
>
> Should be fixed now.

Excellent, thanks for the quick fix!