* Requires better docstring: icomplete-completions function
@ 2020-10-23 16:01 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: klm; +Cc: emacs-devel

This function is not well defined, I would like to use some built-in
Emacs completion that could replace packages that are not
built-in. But this function description does not tell me how
candidates structure looks like or what should be predicate.

icomplete-completions is a compiled Lisp function in ‘icomplete.el’.

(icomplete-completions NAME CANDIDATES PREDICATE REQUIRE-MATCH)

Identify prospective candidates for minibuffer completion.

The display is updated with each minibuffer keystroke during
minibuffer completion.

Prospective completion suffixes (if any) are displayed, bracketed by
one of (), [], or {} pairs.  The choice of brackets is as follows:

  (...) - a single prospect is identified and matching is enforced,
  [...] - a single prospect is identified but matching is optional, or
  {...} - multiple prospects, separated by commas, are indicated, and
          further input is required to distinguish a single one.

If there are multiple possibilities, ‘icomplete-separator’ separates them.

The displays for unambiguous matches have ‘ [Matched]’ appended
(whether complete or not), or ‘ [No matches]’, if no eligible
matches exist.

* Re: Requires better docstring: icomplete-completions function
@ 2020-10-23 18:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-10-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: klm, emacs-devel

> This function is not well defined,

It's not meant for use by external packages, I think.
Why do you want to use that instead of a function from minibuffer.el
like `completion-all-completions`?

* Re: Requires better docstring: icomplete-completions function
@ 2020-10-24  6:21   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-24  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2020-10-23 21:08]:
> > This function is not well defined,
>
> It's not meant for use by external packages, I think.
> Why do you want to use that instead of a function from minibuffer.el
> like `completion-all-completions`?

I am actually looking into vertical, split window or full screen
incremental completion similar to helm, but that it should be
lightweight.

Maybe I could use tabulated-list-mode in such manner that searching
for patterns and multiple words provide me with list of choices among
many.

It is because I have business applications that use Helm, and it is
external library, I would like to modify some applications and make
them available to GNU ELPA.

The email address of author for icomplete: kml AT nist.gov is not
working any more.

--
Jean Louis