* Make bootsrap failure -- tab-bar.el
@ 2019-10-11  0:55 Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2019-10-11  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel\@gnu.org

Let me know if I'm just insane...

On a clean checkout of master, I do:

    $ make -j6 bootstrap
    LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch  -l loadup --temacs=pdump
    dump mode: pdump
    Using load-path (/home/michael/devel/emacs/master/lisp)
    Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
    Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
    (require cl-lib) while preparing to dump
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:584: emacs.pdmp] Error 255

Is there a reason I'm the only one seeing this.

TIA
--
MICHAEL@MAUGER.COM // FSF and EFF member // GNU Emacs sql.el maintainer

* Re: Make bootsrap failure -- tab-bar.el
@ 2019-10-14 19:17 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2019-10-14 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Mauger; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Let me know if I'm just insane...
>
> On a clean checkout of master, I do:
>
>     $ make -j6 bootstrap
>     LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch  -l loadup --temacs=pdump
>     dump mode: pdump
>     Using load-path (/home/michael/devel/emacs/master/lisp)
>     Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
>     Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
>     (require cl-lib) while preparing to dump
>     make[2]: *** [Makefile:584: emacs.pdmp] Error 255
>
> Is there a reason I'm the only one seeing this.

This is strange indeed.  I tried to bootstrap on a clean checkout of master,
and there are no errors.

* Re: Make bootsrap failure -- tab-bar.el
@ 2019-10-16 17:48 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2019-10-16 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Mauger; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Let me know if I'm just insane...
>
> On a clean checkout of master, I do:
>
>     $ make -j6 bootstrap
>     LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch  -l loadup --temacs=pdump
>     dump mode: pdump
>     Using load-path (/home/michael/devel/emacs/master/lisp)
>     Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
>     Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
>     (require cl-lib) while preparing to dump
>     make[2]: *** [Makefile:584: emacs.pdmp] Error 255
>
> Is there a reason I'm the only one seeing this.

Now I got exactly the same error when edited and saved the source file
tab-bar.el during compilation.  Here is the difference.

* Normal compilation log:

* When touching the source file during compilation:

Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump")
(require cl-lib) while preparing to dump
Makefile:584: recipe for target 'emacs.pdmp' failed

Note how it tries to load the source file tab-bar.el
instead of loading the compiled file tab-bar.elc.

This is because the dumper sets 'load-prefer-newer' to 't'.

* Re: Make bootsrap failure -- tab-bar.el
@ 2019-10-16 18:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-10-16 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: mmauger, emacs-devel

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:48:05 +0300
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Now I got exactly the same error when edited and saved the source file
> tab-bar.el during compilation.

Don't do that.

* Re: Make bootsrap failure -- tab-bar.el
@ 2019-10-21 20:45     ` Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2019-10-21 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Juri Linkov, emacs-devel@gnu.org