* Strange effect selecting rectangular region
@ 2022-07-09 16:39 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-07-09 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

They are few master builds I notice this strange effect.

Selecting a rectangular region with 'M-C drag mouse-L' produces the rectangular region but when the keys (M, C, mouse-L) are released the related lines appears in yellows as the attached screenshot. This happens often not always and the only way to get that the yellow disappears is to restart Emacs (I have not found a recipe to do that in Emacs).

I have seen this on Windows an macOS but not on GNU/Linux builds...

[-- Attachment #2: yellow-region.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 15491 bytes --]

* Re: Strange effect selecting rectangular region
@ 2022-07-09 17:23 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-07-09 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

> They are few master builds I notice this strange effect.
>
> Selecting a rectangular region with 'M-C drag mouse-L' produces the
> rectangular region but when the keys (M, C, mouse-L) are released the
> related lines appears in yellows as the attached screenshot. This
> happens often not always and the only way to get that the yellow
> disappears is to restart Emacs (I have not found a recipe to do that
> in Emacs).

The highlighting in your screenshot looks like the secondary selection
one gets with M-mouse-1.

I get the behavior you describe when I release the Control key too early
(i.e. before the mouse button).

Michael.

* RE: [External] : Re: Strange effect selecting rectangular region
@ 2022-07-09 22:48   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-07-09 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > They are few master builds I notice this strange effect.
> >
> > Selecting a rectangular region with 'M-C drag mouse-L' produces the
> > rectangular region but when the keys (M, C, mouse-L) are released the
> > related lines appears in yellows as the attached screenshot. This
> > happens often not always and the only way to get that the yellow
> > disappears is to restart Emacs (I have not found a recipe to do that
> > in Emacs).
>
> The highlighting in your screenshot looks like the secondary selection
> one gets with M-mouse-1.
>
> I get the behavior you describe when I release the Control key too
> early (i.e. before the mouse button).

FWIW -

This is where it should have been bound by default, IMO:

 (global-set-key [(control x) down-mouse-1]
                 'mouse-drag-region-rectangle)

Together with this:

 (global-set-key [(control x) mouse-1] 'mouse-set-point)

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-11/msg02149.html

* Re: Strange effect selecting rectangular region
@ 2022-07-10 22:30 ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2022-07-10 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Drew Adams wrote:

> This is where it should have been bound by default
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52130

It seems the bug has been closed without the fix you have proposed..

I concord C-M-mouse-1 is not the best..

Thanks,
 Angelo.

* RE: [External] : Re: Strange effect selecting rectangular region
@ 2022-07-11  1:37   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-07-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52130
>
> It seems the bug has been closed without the fix you have proposed..
> I concord C-M-mouse-1 is not the best..

You'll notice that although good reasons were
given against it, no reasons at all were given
in favor.  No reason except this, that is,
from Lars:

   "Well, I think it makes sense.  Closing."
___

E la nave va...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Ship_Sails_On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQ8mXw8I6U