From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: Durand <mmemmew@gmail.com>
Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: [External] : [ELPA] Want to submit two packages "ilist" and "blist"
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:25:44 +0000	[thread overview]

> bookmarks are grouped under various sections, and I can
> hide / unhide the sections by pressing return when the point is over
> the group header, and can jump to headers by M-n / M-p, things like this.
> Perhaps Bookmark+ already provides this kind of ability?

Yes and no.

Grouping by types, yes.  But types are
distinguished by face and other means, not
with headers.  There are multiple sort
orders, of which sorting by type (group)
is just one.  A face shows you the type
no matter what the sort order is.

There's no cursor movement among groups.
But you can show (or mark, or jump to, or
cycle among, ...) the bookmarks of a given
type/group.

And there are lots of operations you can
perform on the marked bookmarks, so you
can mark all those of a given type and
then do whatever you like to/with them.

> >> I am not using Bookmark+ myself.  Surely I can recommend to use
> >> Bookmark+ features in the documentations / README.  Or are you
> >> suggesting for blist to depend on and extend Bookmark+?
>
>> No, no.  I was just mentioning that some type
>> predicates exist, and they work fine with Blist.
>
> I see.  Okay.  :D

To be more clear about this: I was trying
to point out that what Blist provides is
a different way of showing and interacting
with a bookmark list - any list of regular
bookmarks.

Because it does so with ordinary Emacs
bookmarks (e.g. not the pseudo-bookmarks
of EWW or Org or whatever), it can be used
with bookmarks of all sorts.

E.g., one can use Blist as an alternative
"front end".  That's true for Bookmark+
bookmarks as it is for vanilla bookmarks.
I was saying that I tried using Bookmark+
bookmarks with Blist, and confirming that
I encountered no problem.

Bookmark+ is much more than its enhancement
of the standard "Bmenu" bookmark-list
display.  There's no requirement to use its
list display to take advantage of Bookmark+.

(But that display does offer handy features
for using and managing sets of bookmarks, I
think.)
___

I think that too often some people seem to
think that to use bookmarks you need to
show the list of bookmarks and interact
with that displayed list.  Not at all.

That's no more true than to use files you
need to access them with Dired, or to use
buffers you need to access them with
Ibuffer or Buffer Menu.

In particular, _jumping_ to bookmarks
("opening" them) is not really what the
bookmark-list display is for.  That front
end is for _managing sets_ of bookmarks.

Jumping to bookmarks from there is a
minor feature.  Especially if one has a
good completion "framework", going
through a display-list front end just to
jump to bookmarks can be an unnecessary
detour.

Such a display list is a hub for doing
all kinds of useful things with a set