* Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2002-09-05 14:50 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-09-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Would you prefer that this type of bug-report be sent
to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'?)

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp
-intro.texi

emacs-lisp-intro.texi, revision 1.17 has the following at line 3:

   @setfilename ../info/eintr

This causes the generated emacs-lisp-intro.info file to contain the
lines:

* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).
            A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.

This appears to be an error.  Because the .info file is named
'emacs-lisp-intro', it should not reference the file 'eintr'
in the Info 'dir' file.  Instead, the '@setfilename' line should
refer to 'emacs-lisp-intro'.

I was not able to find a patch for this problem in the Patches list,
so I am assuming that this is problem has not been reported already.

---

* Re: Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2002-09-05 15:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-09-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Harig, Mark A. wrote:

> (Would you prefer that this type of bug-report be sent
> to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'?)

Since this is about the CVS version of Emacs, bug reports should be sent
to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  ("M-x report-emacs-bug RET" will do that
automatically for you.)

> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp
> -intro.texi
>
> emacs-lisp-intro.texi, revision 1.17 has the following at line 3:
>
>    @setfilename ../info/eintr
>
> This causes the generated emacs-lisp-intro.info file to contain the
> lines:
>
> * Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).
>             A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.
>
> This appears to be an error.  Because the .info file is named
> 'emacs-lisp-intro', it should not reference the file 'eintr'
> in the Info 'dir' file.  Instead, the '@setfilename' line should
> refer to 'emacs-lisp-intro'.

No, this is not a bug.  I'm guessing that you invoked makeinfo manually
to produce the Info output, and used the --output option to tell makeinfo
the name of the output file.  In the Emacs sources, lispintro/Makefile.in
takes care of putting the output into info/eintr, so that the menu item
in the top-level DIR menu works.

* RE: Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2002-09-05 15:41 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-09-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Harig, Mark A. wrote:
>
> > (Would you prefer that this type of bug-report be sent
> > to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'?)
>
> Since this is about the CVS version of Emacs, bug reports
> should be sent
> to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  ("M-x report-emacs-bug RET"
> will do that
> automatically for you.)

"M-x report-emacs-bug RET" causes emacs to initiate an email
message to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'.  Is this address somehow
the same location as 'emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org'?  I am using
GNU Emacs version 21.2.

>> * Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).
>>             A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.
>>
>> This appears to be an error.  Because the .info file is named
>> 'emacs-lisp-intro', it should not reference the file 'eintr'
>> in the Info 'dir' file.  Instead, the '@setfilename' line should
>> refer to 'emacs-lisp-intro'.
>
>No, this is not a bug.  I'm guessing that you invoked makeinfo manually

>to produce the Info output, and used the --output option to tell
makeinfo
>the name of the output file.  In the Emacs sources,
lispintro/Makefile.in
>takes care of putting the output into info/eintr, so that the menu item

>in the top-level DIR menu works.

I did not invoke makeinfo.  I fetched the .gz file at the GNU web site:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro.info.gz

It contained the reference to '(eintr)' in a file
named 'emacs-lisp-intro.info'.

I will forward your comments that this is not a bug in the source
code, but rather a bug in the way that the .info file(s) is generated.

At present, any one who retrieves the .gz file, above, will need
to edit the .info file, or rename it from 'emacs-lisp-intro.info'
to 'eintr'.

I will send my bug report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, as you have
said.

Thanks!

---

* RE: Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@ 2002-09-05 15:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-09-05 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Harig, Mark A. wrote:

> > Since this is about the CVS version of Emacs, bug reports
> > should be sent
> > to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  ("M-x report-emacs-bug RET"
> > will do that
> > automatically for you.)
> >

> "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" causes emacs to initiate an email
> message to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'.  Is this address somehow
> the same location as 'emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org'?  I am using
> GNU Emacs version 21.2.

In that case, this happens because you used a released version of Emacs
in conjunction with a package that was merged with Emacs in the
development sources.  Please use emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org manually.