* 8 bit input chars on tty broken
@ 2002-07-19 12:56 Eric M. Ludlam
From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2002-07-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I got a new CVS build running a couple days ago (21.3.50.1) after
  running 21.1.x for quite some time.  In the transition, 8 bit input
  chars on a TTY lost  their meta-ness.  Thus, I press ALT-X which
  creates an 8 bit character, and it inserts a circle with a line
  through it instead of providing my favorite prompt.

  I looked through NEWS on input methods, but saw nothing indicating
  such a change.  I checked my input methods (after learning what
  they were) and it appears that I am running with full defaults
  (nil).

  I also used apropos to look up input methods, 8 bit, and a few
  other things but didn't see a configuration variable for this new
  behavior.

  I retested in 21.1, and 21.2 and they work fine.  ALT-X in an X
  version of the same Emacs also works fine.

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-07-16 on choochoo

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 zappo@gnu.org, eric@siege-engine.com
   Home: www.ultranet.com/~zappo            Siege: www.siege-engine.com

* Re: 8 bit input chars on tty broken
@ 2002-07-19 13:40 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-07-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>   I got a new CVS build running a couple days ago (21.3.50.1) after
>   running 21.1.x for quite some time.  In the transition, 8 bit input
>   chars on a TTY lost  their meta-ness.  Thus, I press ALT-X which
>   creates an 8 bit character, and it inserts a circle with a line
>   through it instead of providing my favorite prompt.

What happens if you do the same ALT-X in another application (like bash) ?
What happens if you use something like Multi_key a o (which should
insert a latin-1 å if you) or use some other non-Emacs input method
to type a latin-1 char (in bash and in Emacs) ?
What terminal is it ?  What are your locale setting ?

The reason you see this, is mentioned in the NEWS file:

    ** The keyboard-coding-system is now automatically set based on
    your current locale settings.  If it turns out that your terminal
    does not support the encoding implied by your locale (for example,
    it inserts non-ASCII chars if you hit M-i), you will need to add

        (set-keyboard-coding-system nil)

    to your .emacs to revert to the old behavior.

-- Stefan

* Re[2]: 8 bit input chars on tty broken
@ 2002-07-19 16:47   ` Eric M. Ludlam
From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2002-07-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>>> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> seems to think that:
>>   I got a new CVS build running a couple days ago (21.3.50.1) after
>>   running 21.1.x for quite some time.  In the transition, 8 bit input
>>   chars on a TTY lost  their meta-ness.  Thus, I press ALT-X which
>>   creates an 8 bit character, and it inserts a circle with a line
>>   through it instead of providing my favorite prompt.
>
>What happens if you do the same ALT-X in another application (like bash) ?
>What happens if you use something like Multi_key a o (which should
>insert a latin-1 å if you) or use some other non-Emacs input method
>to type a latin-1 char (in bash and in Emacs) ?
>What terminal is it ?  What are your locale setting ?

Emacs 21.1 created the M-x prompt.  Tcsh also creates the funny
characters.

>The reason you see this, is mentioned in the NEWS file:
>
>    ** The keyboard-coding-system is now automatically set based on
>    your current locale settings.  If it turns out that your terminal
>    does not support the encoding implied by your locale (for example,
>    it inserts non-ASCII chars if you hit M-i), you will need to add
>
>        (set-keyboard-coding-system nil)
>
>    to your .emacs to revert to the old behavior.
  [ ... ]

You are right.  This fixed my 8 bit meta-ness.  I did not see it when
looking through the news file as I was using search keywords such as
"8" "input" and some other terms I remember being used for this type
of thing.

My environment from the SHELL buffer has this in it (after removing
useless stuff):

TERM=dumb
TERMCAP=
COLUMNS=80
EMACS=t
HOME=/home/zappo
OSTYPE=linux
HOSTTYPE=i386-linux
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
SUPPORTED=en_US:en
LANG=en_US

It looks like SUPPORTED/LANG is possibly involved, but it seems odd
to remove support for US English to get meta back.

Thanks for the quick response.  I was putting a lot of funny
characters in my buffers.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 zappo@gnu.org, eric@siege-engine.com
   Home: www.ultranet.com/~zappo            Siege: www.siege-engine.com
Emacs: http://cedet.sourceforge.net               GNU: www.gnu.org

* Re: Re[2]: 8 bit input chars on tty broken
@ 2002-07-21  5:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-07-21  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Eric M. Ludlam wrote:

> >        (set-keyboard-coding-system nil)
> >
> >    to your .emacs to revert to the old behavior.
>   [ ... ]
>
> You are right.  This fixed my 8 bit meta-ness.  I did not see it when
> looking through the news file as I was using search keywords such as
> "8" "input" and some other terms I remember being used for this type
> of thing.

Perhaps we should have an entry in PROBLEMS for this issue, then, and
make sure "8" and "input" appears in the entry's header line.