* csharp-mode in Emacs git master - a personal list of gratitude and thanks
@ 2022-11-25 20:00 Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2022-11-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus via Emacs development discussions.
  Cc: Theodor Thornhill, Yuan Fu, Dino Chiesa, contact,
	Vasilij Schneidermann, Stefan Monnier, Alan Mackenzie,
	Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn

Hey everyone!

After years and years as a third-party mode, I'm absolutely stoked to
see (a) csharp-mode finally mainlined into Emacs.

Sorry about the "long form" for this email, but for me this completes an
8 year journey as the "main" semi-lone steward of the Emacs C# project,
and for me this feels very much like a very personal project finally
finding a new, proper home.

That we are here today is a big achievement, and I really want to call
out everyone I know and remember who helped us get here.

First of all I want to thank *Dylan R. E. Moonfire* for the original
csharp-mode implementantation. This is where it all started, way back.
Thanks Dylan!

I also want to thank *Dino Chiesa* who kept maintaining it for several
years, until around 2011.

In 2014 when Emacs 24.4 was released, the old code broke and I took over
as a new maintainer. In that regard, I want to thank everyone who helped
me out fixing and improving csharp-mode. Contributions big and small:
They were all welcome and appreciated!

For that early period I want to extend a special thanks to *Vasailij
Schneidermann* (or perhaps you know him as wasamasa). He was always
eager to help and provided much needed support. As far as I can tell, he
wasn't just there for me. He was there for the entire Emacs-community
and seemingly still is. A hero and living legend!

I also want to thank *Alan MacKenzie* for his never endring patience
when we were stuck in some cc-mode troubles we couldn't dig ourselves
out of and when we were using cc-mode in undocumented ways we shouldn't
be doing. Clearly a gentleman of the olde school. You have my utmost
respects!

*Yuan Fu* obviously deserves a great big thanks, for making it possible
to land our new tree-sitter based implementation, which currently is the
one I feel closest attached to as of now. As such I really also should
mention *Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn*, who really pioneered getting tree-sitter and
Emacs being into being one thing, before this was even considered
possible to do in Emacs core, prior to Yuan Fu's efforts.

But a particular, special thanks goes out to a single individual who
over the last few years have helped csharp-mode in ways and amounts I
didn't imagine possible.

Listing up "only" his major contributions to csharp-mode still makes for
a long list. This person contributed by among other things:

  * creating a new clean-room cc-mode based implementation, which could
    replace the old one, fixed bugs and now made it possible to even
    consider mainlining it into Emacs core, for the benefit of all
    Emacs-users.
  * for being one of the first Emacs-users out there trying out getting
    tree-sitter based major-modes in Emacs a real thing. He authored the
    first tree-sitter-based Emacs-mode I know of.
  * for pushing me into trying to make a new csharp-mode based on Yuan
    Fu's tree-sitter work in Emacs core, and then further improving on it.
  * for working closely with everyone in Emacs-devel to make sure our
    latest work was up to the standards you guys expect, and making sure
    it could eventually get merged.

I'm ofcourse talking about *Theodor Thornhill*.

Theodor: You better believe I'm taking this merge as an early
Christmas-present! Thank you for having the ambition and drive I lacked
after years of "maintenance-mode" maintainership!

*Stefan Monnier* deserves an honest mention too. He helped us land this,
just likes he helps everyone else. Thanks Stefan!

So...

While it may no longer be "my" csharp-mode nor "my" community
maintaining it, I still definitely want to keep it close and will try to
provide patches and improvements when I can.

Rumour has it Theoder isn't writing that much C# any more (while I do),
so feel free to email me if you have issues or suggestions. I'll try to
stay around :)

--
Kind regards
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

* Re: csharp-mode in Emacs git master - a personal list of gratitude and thanks
@ 2022-11-25 21:22 ` Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2022-11-25 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jostein, Ergus via Emacs development discussions.
  Cc: Yuan Fu, Dino Chiesa, contact, Vasilij Schneidermann,
	Stefan Monnier, Alan Mackenzie, Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn

> Hey everyone!

Hi Jostein!

> After years and years as a third-party mode, I'm absolutely stoked to
> see (a) csharp-mode finally mainlined into Emacs.
>
> Sorry about the "long form" for this email, but for me this completes an
> 8 year journey as the "main" semi-lone steward of the Emacs C# project,
> and for me this feels very much like a very personal project finally
> finding a new, proper home.
>
> That we are here today is a big achievement, and I really want to call
> out everyone I know and remember who helped us get here.

I concur!  Thanks all for keeping it alive for so long :-)

> Listing up "only" his major contributions to csharp-mode still makes for
> a long list. This person contributed by among other things:
>
>   * creating a new clean-room cc-mode based implementation, which could
>     replace the old one, fixed bugs and now made it possible to even
>     consider mainlining it into Emacs core, for the benefit of all
>     Emacs-users.
>   * for being one of the first Emacs-users out there trying out getting
>     tree-sitter based major-modes in Emacs a real thing. He authored the
>     first tree-sitter-based Emacs-mode I know of.
>   * for pushing me into trying to make a new csharp-mode based on Yuan
>     Fu's tree-sitter work in Emacs core, and then further improving on it.
>   * for working closely with everyone in Emacs-devel to make sure our
>     latest work was up to the standards you guys expect, and making sure
>     it could eventually get merged.
>
> I'm ofcourse talking about *Theodor Thornhill*.
>
> Theodor: You better believe I'm taking this merge as an early
> Christmas-present! Thank you for having the ambition and drive I lacked
> after years of "maintenance-mode" maintainership!

You are way too kind!  Thank _you_ for being patient with my
neck-breaking shenanigans :)

> While it may no longer be "my" csharp-mode nor "my" community
> maintaining it, I still definitely want to keep it close and will try to
> provide patches and improvements when I can.
>
> Rumour has it Theoder isn't writing that much C# any more (while I do),
> so feel free to email me if you have issues or suggestions. I'll try to
> stay around :)

I hope we both will for some time to come :)

* Re: csharp-mode in Emacs git master - a personal list of gratitude and thanks
@ 2022-11-25 23:53   ` dino chiesa
From: dino chiesa @ 2022-11-25 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill
  Cc: jostein@kjonigsen.net, Ergus via Emacs development discussions.,
	Yuan Fu, contact@moonfire.us, Vasilij Schneidermann,
	Stefan Monnier, Alan Mackenzie, Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn

Whoo-hoo!

Kudos and sincere thanks for all the work you all have put into this mode!

-DC

@ 2022-11-26 22:03 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-11-26 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jostein
  Cc: Ergus via Emacs development discussions., Theodor Thornhill,
	Dino Chiesa, contact, Vasilij Schneidermann, Stefan Monnier,
> [...]

> I'm ofcourse talking about Theodor Thornhill.
>
> Theodor: You better believe I'm taking this merge as an early Christmas-present! Thank you for having the ambition and drive I lacked after years of "maintenance-mode" maintainership!
>
> Stefan Monnier deserves an honest mention too. He helped us land this, just likes he helps everyone else. Thanks Stefan!
>
> So...
>
> While it may no longer be "my" csharp-mode nor "my" community maintaining it, I still definitely want to keep it close and will try to provide patches and improvements when I can.
>
> Rumour has it Theoder isn't writing that much C# any more (while I do), so feel free to email me if you have issues or suggestions. I'll try to stay around :)

It is very moving to read your words of such genuine passion and kindness. Indeed, the community is the real treasure we have, and I’m only grateful :-)

Yuan

* Re: csharp-mode in Emacs git master - a personal list of gratitude and thanks
@ 2022-11-27  1:59     ` Dylan Moonfire
From: Dylan Moonfire @ 2022-11-27  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dino chiesa, Theodor Thornhill
  Cc: jostein@kjonigsen.net, Ergus via Emacs development discussions.,
	Yuan Fu, contact@moonfire.us, Vasilij Schneidermann,
	Stefan Monnier, Alan Mackenzie, Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn

I have to thank everyone who continued on when I was unable to keep
going and took it places I was unable to follow. Thank you so very much
from the bottom of my hearts. You made my day.

~ Dylan