* Proposing new function for basic editing
@ 2024-02-06  7:05 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-06  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I really don't know if this is useful for more people or it's just me. In
the elisp I write, I have ended up more than once wrapping the point or the
active region with two strings.

I normally use a yasnippet for this, so I really don't use elisp ;-)

But when I need this for a package, I end up replicating the following
function where I need it:

--- cut here ---
(defun surround-region-or-point (before after &optional put-after)
  "Insert `before' before mark or region,
`after' after mark or region and
put mark after `after' if `put-after' is not nil"
  (if (use-region-p)
      (with-restriction (region-beginning) (region-end)
        ;; Insert `before' before region
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (insert before)
        (goto-char (point-max))
        ;; Insert `after' after region
        (if put-after
            (insert after) ; put point after inserted string
          (save-excursion (insert after)))) ; put point after region
    (progn
      (insert before)
      (if put-after
          (insert after) ; put point after both strings
        (save-excursion (insert after)))))) ; put point between strings
--- cut here ---

I was wondering if it would make sense to have this in the emacs lisp
library once and for good.

Best, /PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Proposing new function for basic editing
@ 2024-02-06  8:14 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-02-06  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I really don't know if this is useful for more people or it's just me. In
> the elisp I write, I have ended up more than once wrapping the point or the
> active region with two strings.

There are certainly some cases where less generic code like this was
written, e.g. in rcirc we have `rcirc-format'.

> I normally use a yasnippet for this, so I really don't use elisp ;-)
>
> But when I need this for a package, I end up replicating the following
> function where I need it:
>
> --- cut here ---
> (defun surround-region-or-point (before after &optional put-after)
>   "Insert `before' before mark or region,
> `after' after mark or region and
> put mark after `after' if `put-after' is not nil"
>   (if (use-region-p)
>       (with-restriction (region-beginning) (region-end)
>         ;; Insert `before' before region
>         (goto-char (point-min))
>         (insert before)
>         (goto-char (point-max))
>         ;; Insert `after' after region
>         (if put-after
>             (insert after) ; put point after inserted string
>           (save-excursion (insert after)))) ; put point after region

Can't you pull this code out of the if

>     (progn

... and then drop the progn?

>       (insert before)
>       (if put-after
>           (insert after) ; put point after both strings
>         (save-excursion (insert after)))))) ; put point between strings
> --- cut here ---

Also interesting, if you want to be generic, why not use an approach
like `isearch-forward-thing-at-point' and allow wrapping anything that
defines `bounds-of-thing-at-point'?

@ 2024-02-06  8:25 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2024-02-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paaguti; +Cc: emacs-devel

FWIW, electric-pair-mode seems to handle this.  If the region is active
and you type a quotation mark, paren, etc, it will be wrapped.  So a
common key sequence for me is:

C-M-SPC ... "

to wrap a region of text in quotes.

* Re: Proposing new function for basic editing
@ 2024-02-06  9:16   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-06  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

I know that, but I normally inset arbitrary strings. I’ll look at electric-pair-mode though

/PA
Enviado desde mi iPhone

@ 2024-02-06 10:34   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-06 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Philip,

thanks for the comments. I'll look at wrapping anything approach when time
permits...
Meanwhile, following your comment, I'd propose something like

--- cut here ---
(defun surround-region-or-point (before after &optional put-after)
  "Insert `before' before mark or region,
`after' after mark or region and
put mark after `after' if `put-after' is not nil"
  ;; insert the first string before the mark or region-beginning
  (if (use-region-p)
      (with-restriction (region-beginning) (region-end)
        ;; Insert `before' before region
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (insert before)
        (goto-char (point-max)))
    (insert before))
  ;; Insert the second string after the point or mark
  (if put-after
      (insert after) ; put point after second string
    (save-excursion (insert after)))) ; put point before second string
--- cut here ---

Wouldn't it serve a couple of scenarios?

Best, /PA

--

@ 2024-02-06 17:29     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2024-02-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)