* Reverting changes that break the build
@ 2023-09-19 13:51 Mattias Engdegård
From: Mattias Engdegård @ 2023-09-19 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

People seem to be reluctant to revert build-breaking changes in this project but I'm in favour of a more active approach. So:

I hereby announce that anyone can revert any commit of mine that breaks the build, the faster the better.

No matter how inexperienced you are, if you find that one of my commits is reasonably likely to have caused the build to fail or Emacs to behave in an obviously unintended way, revert the change(s) right away. I only request that you inform me by mail.

If you are wrong, I will be delighted at learning about your mistake and draw wisdom from it. No harm will be done. I may come to respect you more.

The aim is to minimise the disruptive effects of human errors on development progress.

This is a unilateral declaration but I invite other Emacs developers to join me should they accept to do so.

* Re: Reverting changes that break the build
@ 2023-09-19 16:01 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2023-09-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   People seem to be reluctant to revert build-breaking changes in
   this project but I'm in favour of a more active approach. So:

That is because it is easier, and less disruptive to fix the offending
commit.  Than commit, revert, commit, maybe revert since it doesn't
really fix the build ... it messes up not only history, but is a pain
to do.