From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: rmail and mime encoded patches annoyance
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 07:08:17 -0400	[thread overview]

Buffers aren't permanent.  I'd need to save the buffer to a file, to
later re-open, and then send -- possibly also remove the file when
done.  RMAIL already keeps tabs on what messages I've replied to or
not, or have edited.  And I get all of that just in one go, when I
edit a message.  I can label messages, and show only specific ones
based on labels.

Adding FCC/BCC is an extra additional step that is very easy to
forget, which also involves actually sending your email, and fetching
your email -- so a permanent network connection.

All the suggestions are additional work, work which did not exist
before MIME.  It is neither incremental, nor inuitive if you are
already familiar with rmail-edit.

I too review lots of patches (about 20-30 per day), and this is only
annoying when people send them as something that is not "text", and
was hoping to minimize that work using a workflow that has worked for
decades -- so I'm not that interested in other ways of working, rather
figuring out how one could fix rmail-edit so that it continues to
work.