* Need help finding a past discussion
@ 2022-01-06  0:28 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-01-06  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A year or two ago, I remember a discussion here about something like
a hook where we wanted to make an incompatible change which required
somehow distinguishing those functions that expected the old behavior
from those that expected the new one.

Maybe the change was about making the hook function return another
function, so they could be called in two steps and passed arguments at
two separate times.

I vaguely also remember that we mentioned relying on symbol properties
(when the function was represented as a symbol) to distinguish the kind
of function at hand.

Does that ring a bell for someone?

* Re: Need help finding a past discussion
@ 2022-01-06  8:22 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2022-01-06  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> A year or two ago, I remember a discussion here about something like
> a hook where we wanted to make an incompatible change which required
> somehow distinguishing those functions that expected the old behavior
> from those that expected the new one.
>
> Maybe the change was about making the hook function return another
> function, so they could be called in two steps and passed arguments at
> two separate times.
>
> I vaguely also remember that we mentioned relying on symbol properties
> (when the function was represented as a symbol) to distinguish the kind
> of function at hand.
>
> Does that ring a bell for someone?

Sounds like bug#46374 and save-some-buffers-function.

* Re: Need help finding a past discussion
@ 2022-01-06 13:27   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-01-06 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Juri Linkov [2022-01-06 10:22:55] wrote:
> Sounds like bug#46374 and save-some-buffers-function.

That's it, thanks!
The wonders of crowdsourcing,

* Re: Need help finding a past discussion
@ 2022-01-07  4:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-01-07  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > A year or two ago, I remember a discussion here about something like
  > a hook where we wanted to make an incompatible change which required
  > somehow distinguishing those functions that expected the old behavior
  > from those that expected the new one.

  > Maybe the change was about making the hook function return another
  > function, so they could be called in two steps and passed arguments at
  > two separate times.

  > I vaguely also remember that we mentioned relying on symbol properties
  > (when the function was represented as a symbol) to distinguish the kind
  > of function at hand.

I don't remember this, but I have a feeling there would be a less
convoluted fix.