* matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
@ 2021-12-19  9:53 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-12-19  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs

Hello

A couple of weeks ago I asked whether it is possible to include matlab
mode in ELPA or in the Emacs tree.

After some discussion RMS approved it, if, of course all required copyright
assignments are done.

Since then I tried to investigate this issue, by:

    1. Running git blame

    2. Checking whether the authors of commits.

       a. Signed the papers.

       b. Or if not, their corresponding  contribution is too small

       c. Their contribution has been removed.

    3. I repeated this procedure by checking the git logs and our old
       ChangeLog files. Then if a patch was mentioned, I generated a
       patch file by running diff comparing that particular commit with
       the commit before and repeating the steps above.

I pushed my findings to  a new branch to our
repository at sourceforge:
 git://git.code.sf.net/p/matlab-emacs/src matlab-emacs-src

The  branch is  called copyright. It contains a file
copyright.org with a table of patches and their state of art.

That branch also includes a directory called copyright-patches, that
contains all patches I could reconstruct.

Could someone, who is acquainted with these issues, please check and
tell me whether the requirements are satisfied, please??

Before doing this an important issue which needs a clarification.

Matlab goes back to 1991 when Matt Wette wrote the first version. In
around 2000 he sent his code to Eric Ludlam, who ever since has been the
main contributor and maintainer. The package dwelled in CVS and was
finally converted to git.

The first git commit is from December first 2005 and my findings only
cover all commits starting from 2005.

Eric told me that he is sure that there are no traces left in matlab
mode from the pre 2005 epoch, but I simply don't know how to verify
this.

GNU emacs is even older, but somehow its git repositories has quiet old
entries for example the first commit is

◍  changeset:   0:9bbf4f770ef3
   Branch:      default
   Author:      Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>
   Date:        Thu, 18 Apr 1985 00:48:29 +0000
   Phase:       public

Although truth being told, that is a bit of a fake entry, since redhat
as we all know was founded much later (in 1993).

So please could some wise person tell me what to do?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
@ 2021-12-19 13:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-12-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:53:45 +0100
>
> So please could some wise person tell me what to do?

I took a look at the repository, and I don't really understand what
would you like us to tell you.  Specifically, at which files to look,
and what issues to consider?

I took a look at copyright.org, but all it has is 2 sections: "Patches
checked so far" (which presumably you already checked), and "Problem"
(which shews a single commit from Eric).  Please elaborate on what
would you like us to look at.

Thanks.

* Re: matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
@ 2021-12-19 16:50   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-12-19 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:53:45 +0100
>>
>> So please could some wise person tell me what to do?

> I took a look at the repository, and I don't really understand what
> would you like us to tell you.  Specifically, at which files to look,
> and what issues to consider?

> I took a look at copyright.org, but all it has is 2 sections: "Patches
> checked so far" (which presumably you already checked), and "Problem"
> (which shews a single commit from Eric).  Please elaborate on what
> would you like us to look at.

Two things:

    1. The patches: I thought they were self explaining in the sense
       that the files I want you to check are specified in theses
       patches. So the question is simply: are my conclusions correct
       concerning the patches?

    2. The patches mentioned in the ChangeLog files, namely ChangeLog.old1
       and  ChangeLog.old2. In these files you find patches mentioned for which
       we don't have git commits, therefore I cannot produce patches and
       I am not  sure, how to proceed.

Thank you

@ 2021-12-19 17:03     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-12-19 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:50:12 +0100
>
>     1. The patches: I thought they were self explaining in the sense
>        that the files I want you to check are specified in theses
>        patches. So the question is simply: are my conclusions correct
>        concerning the patches?

Where are the patches you want us to check?  And where are the
conclusions you want us to review?

>     2. The patches mentioned in the ChangeLog files, namely ChangeLog.old1
>        and  ChangeLog.old2. In these files you find patches mentioned for which
>        we don't have git commits, therefore I cannot produce patches and
>        I am not  sure, how to proceed.

The files ChangeLog.old1 and ChangeLog.old2 are large and list a lot
of changes.  Where do I find there "patches mentioned for which we
don't have git commits"?

I'm really confused, and these are good-faith questions: I don't
understand what specifically did you want us to help you with.

Maybe preparing a separate document, which would list the problems you
have left one by one, with the necessary details, would help us
understand what kind of help we could provide.

* Re: matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
@ 2021-12-19 17:08       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-12-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-devel

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:50:12 +0100
>>
>> 1. The patches: I thought they were self explaining in the sense
>> that the files I want you to check are specified in theses
>> patches. So the question is simply: are my conclusions correct
>> concerning the patches?

> Where are the patches you want us to check?  And where are the
> conclusions you want us to review?

>> 2. The patches mentioned in the ChangeLog files, namely ChangeLog.old1
>> and  ChangeLog.old2. In these files you find patches mentioned for which
>> we don't have git commits, therefore I cannot produce patches and
>> I am not  sure, how to proceed.

> The files ChangeLog.old1 and ChangeLog.old2 are large and list a lot
> of changes.  Where do I find there "patches mentioned for which we
> don't have git commits"?

> I'm really confused, and these are good-faith questions: I don't
> understand what specifically did you want us to help you with.

> Maybe preparing a separate document, which would list the problems you
> have left one by one, with the necessary details, would help us
> understand what kind of help we could provide.

Ok, I hoped copyright.org would be self explaining. I see it is not. I
will try to add more information, and when I think I am finished I push
and let you know, all right?

@ 2021-12-19 17:29         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-12-19 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: oub, emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:08:31 +0100
>
> Ok, I hoped copyright.org would be self explaining. I see it is not. I
> will try to add more information, and when I think I am finished I push
> and let you know, all right?

Yes, thanks.

* Re: matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
@ 2021-12-20  4:43 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-12-20  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Eric told me that he is sure that there are no traces left in matlab
  > mode from the pre 2005 epoch, but I simply don't know how to verify
  > this.

Can you put me in touch with him?  I think he can give a suitable
assurance, but I'd like to get it straight from him.