* EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-18 22:45 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

The maintainer of EXWM is not responding to their Gmail email account nor
participating in EXWM's Github site any more.  This has been going on
for quite a while now, making it necessary to consider a replacement
maintainer, at the very least on a temporary basis.

Does anyone know how to contact him or knows what might have happened
to them?

In the mean time, Adrián Medraño Calvo <adrian@medranocalvo.com> as
stepped forward to generously take over as acting maintainer.

Anyone interested in helping the development and maintenance of that
nice package should contact him.

* Re: EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-19  9:26 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-19  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The guy behind System Crafters [1] had a streaming session on EXWM and
its future recently.  It might be good to liaise with him/them as there
was talk about forking the project.

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.youtube.com/c/SystemCrafters/about

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.60 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.1

* Re: EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-21 22:36 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-10-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Adrián Medraño Calvo, emacs-devel

  > The maintainer of EXWM is not responding to their Gmail email account nor
  > participating in EXWM's Github site any more.

That is an opportunity to move it off GitHub and onto a site that respects
freedom more.  I think one is sourcehut.

* Re: EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-29 23:58 ` PRS Allgemein
From: PRS Allgemein @ 2021-10-29 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> In the mean time, Adrián Medraño Calvo <adrian@medranocalvo.com> as
> stepped forward to generously take over as acting maintainer.
>
> Anyone interested in helping the development and maintenance of that
> nice package should contact him.

Thank you for the announcement and thank you very much for your help.

I just pushed version 0.25 to GNU ELPA with the latest changes from Chris.  Let’s see how that goes.

Kind regards,
Adrián.

From: PRS Allgemein @ 2021-10-29 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 19. Oct 2021, at 05:26, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> The guy behind System Crafters [1] had a streaming session on EXWM and
> its future recently.  It might be good to liaise with him/them as there
> was talk about forking the project.

Thank you for the pointer.

The author participates in EXWM’s repository and is aware of the news.

I have yet to find the time to see the videos; the “Improving EXWM // Hack Sessions” extremely valuable, especially with regards to easing contributors into EXWM.  I’ll contact him.

Kind regards,
Adrián.

* Re: EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-29 23:58   ` Adrián Medraño Calvo
From: Adrián Medraño Calvo @ 2021-10-29 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> On 21. Oct 2021, at 18:36, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>> The maintainer of EXWM is not responding to their Gmail email account nor
>> participating in EXWM's Github site any more.
>
> That is an opportunity to move it off GitHub and onto a site that respects
> freedom more.  I think one is sourcehut.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I plan on keeping everything as-is until July 2022, when two years will have passed without news from Chris Feng, EXWM author.  Then a new maintainer will have to be chosen (perhaps still me?).  This maintainer shall decide how to proceed.

Kind regards,
Adrián.

* Re: EXWM maintainer missing in action!
@ 2021-10-30  0:02   ` Adrián Medraño Calvo
From: Adrián Medraño Calvo @ 2021-10-30  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Used the wrong e-mail account. Please reply to this address.

From: Adrián Medraño Calvo @ 2021-10-30  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2021-10-31  2:40     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-10-31  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrián Medraño Calvo; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

  > I plan on keeping everything as-is until July 2022, when two years will have passed without news from Chris Feng, EXWM author.  Then a new maintainer will have to be chosen (perhaps still me?).  This maintainer shall decide how to proceed.

That's a good way to proceed.  It would be a mistake to do anything to
discourage the old maintainer from coming back, while there remains
hope that he will.