* make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  5:24 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-15  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not seeing it?
Given that there can be significant changes from version to version of
Emacs, a 'make uninstall' would be helpful to ensure you do not leave
cruft lying around that might get sucked into a future compilation or
execution of Emacs (say, an old lisp file).

Could that be done?

--
David Masterson

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  5:43 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-15  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not seeing it?
> Given that there can be significant changes from version to version of
> Emacs, a 'make uninstall' would be helpful to ensure you do not leave
> cruft lying around that might get sucked into a future compilation or
> execution of Emacs (say, an old lisp file).

If you plan on having several non-OS-distributed versions of Emacs, then
I'd suggest not saying "make install" at all.  Emacs runs fine from
wherever you've compiled it.

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  6:35   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-15  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: David Masterson, emacs-devel

> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not seeing it?
>> Given that there can be significant changes from version to version of
>> Emacs, a 'make uninstall' would be helpful to ensure you do not leave
>> cruft lying around that might get sucked into a future compilation or
>> execution of Emacs (say, an old lisp file).
>
> If you plan on having several non-OS-distributed versions of Emacs, then
> I'd suggest not saying "make install" at all.  Emacs runs fine from
> wherever you've compiled it.

I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
install doesn’t take much time.

Uninstall => just ignore $HOME/.local. :-)

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  6:44     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-15  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
> worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
> ‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
> install doesn’t take much time.

But why not just call ~/src/emacs-27/src/emacs and ~/src/trunk/src/emacs
(or whatever your file layout is) directly?  That's even faster.

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  7:06     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-15  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not seeing it?
>>> Given that there can be significant changes from version to version of
>>> Emacs, a 'make uninstall' would be helpful to ensure you do not leave
>>> cruft lying around that might get sucked into a future compilation or
>>> execution of Emacs (say, an old lisp file).
>>
>> If you plan on having several non-OS-distributed versions of Emacs, then
>> I'd suggest not saying "make install" at all.  Emacs runs fine from
>> wherever you've compiled it.
>
> I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
> worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
> ‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
> install doesn’t take much time.
>
> Uninstall => just ignore $HOME/.local. :-)

Hmm. Yeah, I forgot about GNU Stow which is basically what you're
doing and suggesting.

--
David Masterson

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  7:23       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-15  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:
>
>> I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
>> worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
>> ‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
>> install doesn’t take much time.
>
> But why not just call ~/src/emacs-27/src/emacs and ~/src/trunk/src/emacs
> (or whatever your file layout is) directly?  That's even faster.

Configure looks for parts of other packages in relative locations of the
standard install tree, so, if product B configure looks for (say)
'emacsclient' to know if Emacs is installed properly, it looks under
(IIRC) /usr/share. I believe there is an option to configure to add(?)
$HOME/.local to the list of standard install trees to look in.  So, if
you install a number of packages on your system, you probably want to
install them into a standard install tree rather the local build tree.
It makes standard usage easier because it is one variable rather than N
variables for each product build.

--
David Masterson

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15  8:15       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: David Masterson, emacs-devel

>> I use --prefix arg in configure to install into $HOME/.local. I keep two
>> worktrees - one for emacs-27 and one for master. To use one, I just do a
>> ‘make install’ inside that worktree. I keep both the builds ready so
>> install doesn’t take much time.
>
> But why not just call ~/src/emacs-27/src/emacs and ~/src/trunk/src/emacs
> (or whatever your file layout is) directly?  That's even faster.

Mostly this works. But for quick access on text and GUI console I find
it convenient if ‘emacs’ binary is in path.

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-15 14:33 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2020-12-15 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-devel

   Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not
   seeing it?

What isn't working with `make uninstall'?

* Re: make uninstall ?
@ 2020-12-16  1:21   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-12-16  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    Is there a 'make uninstall' for Emacs (v27?) or am I just not
>    seeing it?
>
> What isn't working with `make uninstall'?

Whoa!  I am getting old.  I didn't see that documented at the top of the
Makefile, so wrongly assumed that it wasn't there.

Thanks

--
David Masterson