* GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-11  8:48 Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-11  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight
Java IDE. Hope this helps people getting started on Java with Emacs.

Code:
Emacs customization (https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/tree/dev)

Demo:
Part 1 (Auto-suggest): https://youtu.be/MWpvKSTz4qc
Part 2 (Refactoring): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0
Part 3 (Debugging): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0

Regards,
Anand

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-11  8:56 ` Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry, the debugging link is incorrect. Reposting the correct links.

Part 3 (Debugging): https://youtu.be/U2L0iLZI_cE

@ 2019-12-12  3:27 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-12-12  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight
  > Java IDE.

That is interesting.  The first question that occurs to me is,
does it require any Emacs package that isn't in Emacs (incling GNU ELPA)?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-12  5:20   ` Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-12  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is
some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for
project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic
and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.

@ 2019-12-12 13:38     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-12-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is
> some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for
> project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic
> and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.

Where can I get your customizations? Is this available as a package?

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-13  0:24       ` Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-13  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

The link to customization was in my first mail as well as in the video
description. Anyway, here it is again.

Code:
Emacs customization (https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/tree/dev)

It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs.
So I developed it as such.

@ 2019-12-13  3:52         ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-12-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The link to customization was in my first mail as well as in the video
> description. Anyway, here it is again.
>
> Code:
> Emacs customization (https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/tree/dev)

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for sharing again.

> It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs.
> So I developed it as such.

Yes. That would be great.

What difference the LSPs make? There are so many options in that area -
Eclipse, IntelliJ servers. Do they have some advantage or is it just a
fad?

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-13  4:26     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-12-13  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is

It sounds pretty good on that dimension.
Is company mode in the GNU ELPA?

--

@ 2019-12-13  4:38       ` Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2019-12-13  4:49           ` Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2019-12-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What difference the LSPs make? There are so many options in that area -
> Eclipse, IntelliJ servers. Do they have some advantage or is it just a
> fad?

IMHO LSP is to VSCode what CEDET Semantic is to Emacs. Only CEDET is a
tad better and it predates LSP by almost two decades.
LSP offloads all language related editing to a language specific external
service. This overlooks the fact that programming languages are more
similar in their structure than there are differences. CEDET seems to have
beautifully captured this idea. For a demo, I've been able to use the
refactoring logic to extract method that I'd written for Java to refactor
Elisp code!!

For further discussion on the subject, you might want to go through this
thread
https://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/mailman/cedet-semantic/?viewmonth=201911

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-13 10:11             ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-12-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

> IMHO LSP is to VSCode what CEDET Semantic is to Emacs. Only CEDET is a
> tad better and it predates LSP by almost two decades.
> LSP offloads all language related editing to a language specific external
> service. This overlooks the fact that programming languages are more
> similar in their structure than there are differences. CEDET seems to have
> beautifully captured this idea. For a demo, I've been able to use the
> refactoring logic to extract method that I'd written for Java to refactor
> Elisp code!!
>
> For further discussion on the subject, you might want to go through this
> thread
> https://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/mailman/cedet-semantic/?viewmonth=201911

Thanks for sharing the insight and the resource.

* Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)
@ 2019-12-14  4:20         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-12-14  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

It is good that there is no obstacle. in terms of self-containedness,
to including your package in Emacs.

It is up to others to decide whether to do that.

--

@ 2019-12-26 14:09         ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2019-12-26 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello Anand

Thank you for your work on improving Java support in Emacs!

Maybe it would be useful for you to reuse some of the Java-related code
that I wrote several years ago in my branch of the CEDET:
https://github.com/alexott/cedet/tree/devel (just do a diff against master)
- it adds to EDE the basic support for Maven, and some other build tools,
so it's possible to perform completion based on the classpath - like on the
screenshot at
https://alexott.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-version-of-article-about-emacscedet.html

I unfortunately don't have much time to work on the CEDET, but I would like
to see any of that code in the Emacs.

Anand Tamariya  at "Fri, 13 Dec 2019 05:54:37 +0530" wrote:
 AT> The link to customization was in my first mail as well as in the video description. Anyway, here it is again.

 AT> Code:
 AT> Emacs customization (https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/tree/dev)

 AT> It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs. So I developed it as such.

 AT> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 19:08 Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> wrote:

 >> Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is
 >> some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for
 >> project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic
 >> and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.
 AT>
 AT>     Where can I get your customizations? Is this available as a package?

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/