* Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-27  6:53 Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-08-27  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Just a heads up, I've added an extra directory called docs in the
fountain-mode ELPA external package, which will eventually have Info
documentation, but for now only builds a rudimentary website via GitHub
pages. I'm not sure how ELPA builds packages compared to MELPA and if
this means the directory needs to be excluded or something... hence this
email.

Thanks.

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-27 12:03 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-27 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Just a heads up, I've added an extra directory called docs in the
> fountain-mode ELPA external package, which will eventually have Info
> documentation, but for now only builds a rudimentary website via GitHub
> pages. I'm not sure how ELPA builds packages compared to MELPA and if this
> means the directory needs to be excluded or something... hence this email.

ELPA doesn't "do" anything (it's just a protocol), but as for GNU ELPA
it builds packages in a fairly simplistic way.  Given the current state
of fountain-mode, it should ignore the `docs` subdirectory because it
will decide that fountain-mode is a "simple" package based on the fact
that there's only one .el file (in that case, the package is made of
that .el file and nothing else).

If you want to include more than that single file, you'll probably want
to set `Package-Type: multi` in the pseudo-headers.

And if instead you want to prevent the `docs` from appearing in the
tarball (say, because you added a second .el file), then you can use
a `.elpaignore` file to say so (see the elpa.git/README file for more
details).

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-27 23:24 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-08-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Just a heads up, I've added an extra directory called docs in the
  > fountain-mode ELPA external package, which will eventually have Info
  > documentation, but for now only builds a rudimentary website via GitHub
  > pages.

Could you explain concretely what it means to "build a rudimentary
website via GitHub pages?"  Specifically, what role do the GitHub
pages play?  How does it use them?  Are these pages visible to Emacs
users, or used only by you, or what?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-28  3:49   ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-08-28  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> ELPA doesn't "do" anything (it's just a protocol), but as for GNU ELPA
> it builds packages in a fairly simplistic way.  Given the current
> state
> of fountain-mode, it should ignore the `docs` subdirectory because it
> will decide that fountain-mode is a "simple" package based on the fact
> that there's only one .el file (in that case, the package is made of
> that .el file and nothing else).
>
> If you want to include more than that single file, you'll probably
> want
> to set `Package-Type: multi` in the pseudo-headers.
>
> And if instead you want to prevent the `docs` from appearing in the
> tarball (say, because you added a second .el file), then you can use
> a `.elpaignore` file to say so (see the elpa.git/README file for more
> details).

Excellent, thanks Stefan :)

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-28  3:52   ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-08-28  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Aug 28 2019, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Could you explain concretely what it means to "build a rudimentary
> website via GitHub pages?"  Specifically, what role do the GitHub
> pages play?  How does it use them?  Are these pages visible to Emacs
> users, or used only by you, or what?

Not sure how to answer some of these Q's, but GitHub Pages is just a
static site generator/host, usually for project documentation websites.
All the info here: https://pages.github.com/

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-29  2:23     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-08-29  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Not sure how to answer some of these Q's, but GitHub Pages is just a
  > static site generator/host, usually for project documentation websites.
  > All the info here: https://pages.github.com/

If you are using GitHub Pages, you surely know what job it does for you.
Could you please describe the job?  I will look at that site but
the answer may not be obvious there.

What is the URL where you refer users who want to see the
documentation?  When users see the documentation, does the page
mention GitHub?

Can you please tell me the precise URL where users look at the documentation?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-08-29  6:53       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-08-29  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Paul W. Rankin, emacs-devel

    > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
    > ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
    > ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's
    > example. ]]]

    >> Not sure how to answer some of these Q's, but GitHub Pages is
    >> just a static site generator/host, usually for project
    >> documentation websites.  All the info here:
    >> https://pages.github.com/

    > If you are using GitHub Pages, you surely know what job it does
    > for you.  Could you please describe the job?  I will look at that
    > site but the answer may not be obvious there.

    > What is the URL where you refer users who want to see the
    > documentation?  When users see the documentation, does the page
    > mention GitHub?

    > Can you please tell me the precise URL where users look at the
    > documentation?

Forgive me for butting in. The procedure for setting up a web-site at
github is essentially the following:-

1. Set up github a/c with username as `user'.
2. The url for the repository will be `user.github.io'.
3. git clone https://github.com/user/user.github.io <RET>
4. cd /path/user.github.io <RET>
5. Write some html, css, etc. files.
6. git add, commit and push.
7. Visit https://user.github.io to see result.

Hope this help.

Best wishes,

--
Colin Baxter
www.Colin-Baxter.com

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-09-02  2:15         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-09-02  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: pwr, emacs-devel

  > Forgive me for butting in. The procedure for setting up a web-site at
  > github is essentially the following:-

  > 1. Set up github a/c with username as `user'.
  > 2. The url for the repository will be `user.github.io'.
  > 3. git clone https://github.com/user/user.github.io <RET>
  > 4. cd /path/user.github.io <RET>
  > 5. Write some html, css, etc. files.
  > 6. git add, commit and push.
  > 7. Visit https://user.github.io to see result.

My question was not "How do you use this" but rather
the more basic question: "What job does it do?"
However, you've given me the answer:
it permits setting up a web site and editing it with git.

That, in principle, is fine.  The moral issues result from
the specifics.

One issue is about nonfree software.  Can a user running IceCat, with
LibreJS enabled, use all aspects of the resulting web site?

Would you like to try that and see?

Last we checked, github.com did NOT entirely function without nonfree
Javascript code, so we urge people to avoid GitHub entirely.
For that reason, it is undesirable for GNU code to be stored
in GitHub.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
@ 2019-09-02  2:40           ` 조성빈
From: 조성빈 @ 2019-09-02  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Colin Baxter, pwr, emacs-devel

> 2019. 9. 2. 오전 11:15, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> 작성:
>
> One issue is about nonfree software.  Can a user running IceCat, with
> LibreJS enabled, use all aspects of the resulting web site?

Because GitHub only manages hosting the site’s assets, whether the website is usable with IceCat & LibreJS only matters in the website’s HTML/CSS/JS.

> Would you like to try that and see?
>
> Last we checked, github.com did NOT entirely function without nonfree
> Javascript code, so we urge people to avoid GitHub entirely.
> For that reason, it is undesirable for GNU code to be stored
> in GitHub.

AFAIK lots of packages in ELPA are primarily developed in GitHub.

@ 2019-09-06  6:12             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-09-06  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 조성빈
  Cc: m43cap, pwr, emacs-devel

  > Because GitHub only manages hosting the site’s assets, whether the
  > website is usable with IceCat & LibreJS only matters in the
  > website’s HTML/CSS/JS.

I suppose basing the web site on GitHub is not intolerable.

  > AFAIK lots of packages in ELPA are primarily developed in GitHub.

This is infortunate.  Would people please help urge developers of packages
to choose somewhere else?

--
Dr Richard Stallman