* voicekey
@ 2019-05-14 23:33 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-05-14 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just found out about http://sourceforge.net/projects/voicekey/,
which is "A voice-controlled keyboard for GNU/Linux built on sphinx."

Would someone like to see if this can work in a 100% free system?
Or, if not, why not?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: voicekey
@ 2019-06-11 23:21 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-06-11 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 19:33, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> I just found out about http://sourceforge.net/projects/voicekey/,
> which is "A voice-controlled keyboard for GNU/Linux built on sphinx."

A couple of years ago I was working on a laptop and finding it very
uncomfortable, so I looked into some voice control software. I ended
up solving my problems instead with an external monitor to allow
better posture, so I kind of lost interest before actually trying
anything out. Though I did organize the listing in the EmacsWiki
first[1]. There's not much out there, nothing actively maintained, and
voicekey seems to be the only one based on a Free speech-recognition
engine.

[1]: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SpeechToText

> Would someone like to see if this can work in a 100% free system?
> Or, if not, why not?

I attempted to make it work, but I got stuck at producing the .DMP
files. Apparently this is an obsolete format, so the current Sphinx
tools don't produce it, and I couldn't find the lm3g2dmp tool which
voicekey's docs suggest to use.