* [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-01 10:17 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-01 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi guys,

I've been willing for a long time to have tools in Emacs to work with a
JavaScript runtime, with an interface similar to CIDER and SLIME.

I've been working lately on a new package connects to a browser tab or
nodejs process and provides many features for JavaScript development:

- a REPL (with auto-completion using company-mode) & object inspection;

- an inspector, with history and navigation;

- and even a stepping Debugger, similar to edebug, or the cider
  debugger.

The project is on GitHub (https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jade) and can
be installed via MELPA (it requires Emacs 25).

The nodejs backend currently requires node-nightly as it uses the new
v8_inspector integration.

The chromium backend is known to work with recent versions of
Chrom[e|ium].

There's no Firefox backend currently, but I plan to write one as well.

I attached some screenshots.

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

[-- Attachment #2: repl.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24933 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: repl2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 19311 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: inspector.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 42004 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: debugger.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 50992 bytes --]

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-01 10:26 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-08-01 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2016-08-01, at 12:17, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Nicolas,

> I've been willing for a long time to have tools in Emacs to work with a
> JavaScript runtime, with an interface similar to CIDER and SLIME.
> [...]

Wow, that looks really interesting!  I'll definitely look at this.
Thanks!

> Cheers,
> Nico

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-01 10:28   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'll definitely look at this.

Great, but beware, the project is still in its infancy ;)

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-02 13:30 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-08-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I've been willing for a long time to have tools in Emacs to work with a
  > JavaScript runtime,

Could you explain what that means?  Which "tools"?  What jobs would one try
to do in this way?

  > The project is on GitHub (https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jade) and can
  > be installed via MELPA (it requires Emacs 25).

If this matures, can you arrange to put it into GNU ELPA
and a GNU repository?

Could you move it to Gitlab please?
http://gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
explains why GitHub is harmful; it is important
to encourage people to use repos that are more ethical
than GitHub.

  > There's no Firefox backend currently, but I plan to write one as well.

Which browsers does it support?  I hope it supports at least one
free browser, because encouraging people to use nonfree browsers
works directly against the GNU Project.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-02 14:13   ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-08-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2016-08-02 09:30, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > There's no Firefox backend currently, but I plan to write one as well.
>
> Which browsers does it support?  I hope it supports at least one
> free browser, because encouraging people to use nonfree browsers
> works directly against the GNU Project.

Nicolas mentioned Chromium, which is free software :)

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-02 14:15   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Richard,

> Could you explain what that means?  Which "tools"?  What jobs would one try
> to do in this way?

I mean the ability to connect to and interact with a running JavaScript
process.  Currently Jade has support for:

- a REPL connected to a JavaScript runtime, with code completion;
- an object inspector, with the ability to dive, go back, etc;
- scratch buffers for JavaScript evaluation;
- a stepping debugger, with stack frame locals inspection.

> If this matures, can you arrange to put it into GNU ELPA
> and a GNU repository?

Of course.

> Could you move it to Gitlab please?

I'm considering it.  I know GitHub is not the most ethical choice, but
it certainly is convenient.

> Which browsers does it support?  I hope it supports at least one
> free browser, because encouraging people to use nonfree browsers
> works directly against the GNU Project.

It supports Chromium (I never use Google Chrome, but Jade does support
it), and NodeJS.  Both are free software.

The Firefox backend is missing, but as Firefox is my main web browser, I
will add a backend for it ASAP.

@ 2016-08-02 14:38     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2016-08-02 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> Could you explain what that means?  Which "tools"?  What jobs would one try
>> to do in this way?
>
> I mean the ability to connect to and interact with a running JavaScript
> process.  Currently Jade has support for:
>
> - a REPL connected to a JavaScript runtime, with code completion;
> - an object inspector, with the ability to dive, go back, etc;
> - scratch buffers for JavaScript evaluation;
> - a stepping debugger, with stack frame locals inspection.

Would it be possible to somehow use the embedded webkit browser in Emacs 25?

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-02 14:46       ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Would it be possible to somehow use the embedded webkit browser in
> Emacs 25?

I'd love to do that, but I have no idea how.

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-02 15:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> The project is on GitHub (https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jade) and can
> be installed via MELPA (it requires Emacs 25).

Any reasons not to put it into elpa.git?

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-03  1:07     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-08-03  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > Could you move it to Gitlab please?

  > I'm considering it.  I know GitHub is not the most ethical choice, but
  > it certainly is convenient.

Please move it.  Teaching people to give freedom priority is our purpose.

  > The Firefox backend is missing, but as Firefox is my main web browser, I
  > will add a backend for it ASAP.

Thanks.  This will deal with that problem.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-04  1:19       ` Alex Dunn
From: Alex Dunn @ 2016-08-04  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Regarding GitHub’s relative rating against Gitlab
(https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html), I’m not
sure why the former is marked down for having a page about export
controls, when Gitlab is governed by the same laws (mentioned in
https://about.gitlab.com/terms/).

Likewise the fact that GitHub has the list of takedowns
(https://github.com/github/gov-takedowns/tree/master/Russia) is probably
a function of its size and popularity rather than policy differences
with Gitlab (unless Gitlab has or has promised to fight takedowns more
aggressively; if they have, that should be noted in the repository
evaluation.

@ 2016-08-04 18:40         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-08-04 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Dunn; +Cc: nicolas, emacs-devel

I will ask the evaluators about their decisions about these two issues
regarding GitLab.  However, that discussion can't make GitHub any
better.  GitHub is VERY bad for the free software community.

  > I’m not
  > sure why the former is marked down for having a page about export
  > controls, when Gitlab is governed by the same laws (mentioned in
  > https://about.gitlab.com/terms/).

We are concerned with each site's policy, not with the law as such.
This US law does not explicitly require repo sites to deny access to
anyone.

(If it did, we would reject all repos in the US.)

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-07 17:26   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>> The project is on GitHub (https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jade) and can
>> be installed via MELPA (it requires Emacs 25).
>
> Any reasons not to put it into elpa.git?

I want to wait a bit, when I'll consider it mature enough, I'll put it
there.

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-07 23:13     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-07 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> The project is on GitHub (https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jade) and can
>>> be installed via MELPA (it requires Emacs 25).
>> Any reasons not to put it into elpa.git?
> I want to wait a bit, when I'll consider it mature enough, I'll put it
> there.

If it's mature enough for MELPA, I don't see why it wouldn't be fit for
GNU ELPA.

Also you can put it in elpa.git without making a release.

And finally, it's usually easier to do it earlier than to do it later
(by the time it matures, it has often accrued more contributors, so
you have to track them down and get their paperwork (at which time they
aren't terribly motivated to sign any more), instead of doing it
progressively as a prerequisite for contribution).

* Re: [announce] Jade, a new package for JavaScript development
@ 2016-08-08  8:13       ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-08-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel