* http/2 and Emacs
@ 2016-02-19  6:55 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-19  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

http/2 (aka. "SPDY with a W3C rubber stamp") is rapidly becoming more
used around the world.  While no servers seem to be dropping support for
HTTP 1 yet, we should probably start preparing for that eventuality.

Has anybody looked into implementing this for Emacs?  It's a much, much
more complicated protocol than older HTTP versions...  Summary: "Let's
reimplement TCP with QoS in HTTP!  It'll be fun!"

* Re: http/2 and Emacs
@ 2016-02-20 14:27 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > http/2 (aka. "SPDY with a W3C rubber stamp")

Could you explain what that is intended to mean?
I don't know the name "SPDY".

What is good about HTTP/2?  What is bad about it?

  > reimplement TCP with QoS in HTTP!  It'll be fun!"

That doesn't help.  I know what TCP is, but I never heard of "QoS".

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: http/2 and Emacs
@ 2016-02-20 16:55   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-02-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I don't know the name "SPDY".

SPDY is/was an experimental protocol developed by Google, intended as a
replacement for HTTP that would reduce page load times. It has morphed into
HTTP/2, which is specified by Internet RFC 7540 (May 2015). HTTP/2 is supported
by high-volume web sites such as Google and Facebook. Google says about 25% of
resources in the Chrome browser are now served over HTTP/2, and w3techs says
about 6.5% of public websites support HTTP/2, up from about 2.5% of websites at
the end of 2015.

The basic idea of HTTP/2, as the RFC states, is that it:

"allows interleaving of request and response messages on the same connection and
uses an efficient coding for HTTP header fields. It also allows prioritization
of requests, letting more important requests complete more quickly, further
improving performance. The resulting protocol is more friendly to the network
because fewer TCP connections can be used in comparison to HTTP/1.x.... Finally,
HTTP/2 also enables more efficient processing of messages through use of binary
message framing."

HTTP/2 connections are typically encrypted rather than plaintext. This is both
for security and to speed performance (avoids a roundtrip negotiation). HTTP/2
also allows server push.

One downside is that HTTP/2 is more of a pain to debug, because of its use of
multiplexing, compression, encryption, and binary formats. Debugging is doable,
but the standard debugging tools haven't caught up yet.

* Re: http/2 and Emacs
@ 2016-02-21 12:46     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-21 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel