* Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 14:25 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there something major going on that would render Emacs unstable on
Linux under X at the moment?  I'm getting a bunch of seemingly unrelated
issues -- Emacs uses 100% CPU, Emacs hangs when restoring window
settings, Emacs opens up at a width of 72 instead of the specified 80...

Are these the symptoms of some work that's in progress, or should I
start debugging?

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 14:43 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2013-12-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello.

1 dec 2013 kl. 15:25 skrev Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:

> Is there something major going on that would render Emacs unstable on
> Linux under X at the moment?  I'm getting a bunch of seemingly unrelated
> issues -- Emacs uses 100% CPU, Emacs hangs when restoring window
> settings, Emacs opens up at a width of 72 instead of the specified 80...
>
> Are these the symptoms of some work that's in progress, or should I
> start debugging?

It is a work in progress, resizing windows by pixels instead of rows/columns, but additional debugging is welcome.
The 100% I've only seen on GnuStep, not X.  I've not seen a hang either, can you catch it in the debugger?  The 72 instead of 80 I've seen (but in my case, 79, 83 or 84).

Which toolkit did you compile with?

	Jan D.

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 14:52   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-01 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> It is a work in progress, resizing windows by pixels instead of
> rows/columns, but additional debugging is welcome.

Ah, right.

> The 100% I've only seen on GnuStep, not X.  I've not seen a hang
> either, can you catch it in the debugger?

The 100% CPU usage was, I think, completely unrelated -- it was a local
issue.

The hang happened when I did the following:

`M-x debbugs-gnu' and then selected some bugs.  I entered into one of
the reports, and then did some work, and then when I exited one of the
groups, Emacs hung.  It made the "visual bell" areas go white, so
perhaps it was a bit of the error handling code that did something
wrong?

It just happened once.

> The 72 instead of 80 I've seen (but in my case, 79, 83 or 84).
>
> Which toolkit did you compile with?

Let's see...  It says:

  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 15:47 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2013-12-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Unrelated, I suppose, but the OS X build (--with-ns) does not start:

; /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q
Font `Menlo' is not defined
;

– Harald

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 16:29   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2013-12-01 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello.

1 dec 2013 kl. 16:47 skrev Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>:

> Unrelated, I suppose, but the OS X build (--with-ns) does not start:
>
> ; /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q
> Font `Menlo' is not defined
> ;

See bug 16018, it is related.  Bit of a mess right now on NS.

	Jan D.

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 16:52     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

> `M-x debbugs-gnu' and then selected some bugs.  I entered into one of
> the reports, and then did some work, and then when I exited one of the
> groups, Emacs hung.  It made the "visual bell" areas go white, so
> perhaps it was a bit of the error handling code that did something
> wrong?

There's also been recent changes to try and optimize away some redisplay
work, which can occasionally result in an apparent hang even though it's
just a lack of redisplay.

AFAIK all known bugs have already been fixed in both of those changes,
so please report the problems you see with as much detail as possible.

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 23:00 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-12-01 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Is there something major going on that would render Emacs unstable on
    Linux under X at the moment?

I don't know the answer, but please don't forget that Emacs is running
on GNU/Linux.  Linux is just one piece of the system.  We GNU hackers
are the system's main developers.

Let's show people an example of giving us equal mention when talking
about the system we have built.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-01 23:53       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-12-01 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

> AFAIK all known bugs have already been fixed in both of those changes,
> so please report the problems you see with as much detail as possible.

I suspect that http://debbugs.gnu.org/16017 is directly related to
pixel-wise window resizing.

* Re: Is Emacs in a usable state at the moment?
@ 2013-12-02  7:38         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2013-12-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Jan Djärv, Stefan Monnier,