* Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-07  9:57 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2013-02-07  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Filipp Gunbin

Hello Emacs.

I have a new contributer with a fix to CC Mode.  He's willing to assign
copyright to the FSF.

Where, exactly, do I find the copyright assignment forms?  There is an
FSF document about this (I forget exactly where) that identifies a
directory on "fencepost.gnu.org".  This server appears to be neither
http nor ftp, so I'm a bit stuck, there.

Help, please!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-07 11:10 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-02-07 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Filipp Gunbin, emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

Hi Alan,

> I have a new contributer with a fix to CC Mode.  He's willing to assign
> copyright to the FSF.
>
> Where, exactly, do I find the copyright assignment forms?

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=tree;f=doc/Copyright;hb=HEAD

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-07 11:45   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-07 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Filipp Gunbin, emacs-devel

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:10:07 +0100
Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> > I have a new contributer with a fix to CC Mode.  He's willing to assign
> > copyright to the FSF.
> >
> > Where, exactly, do I find the copyright assignment forms?
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=tree;f=doc/Copyright;hb=HEAD

If the contributor then wants more information, you can send per the file /gd/gnuorg/conditions.text, which explains per options (assign vs. disclaim) and their consequences.
Please don’t use any of the templates except for those listed here, and please don’t change the wording.

For large changes, ask the contributor for an assignment. Send per a copy of the file request-assign.changes. (Like all the ‘request-’ files, it is in /gd/gnuorg/Copyright and in gnulib.)

For medium to small changes, request a personal disclaimer by sending per the file request-disclaim.changes.

If the contributor is likely to keep making changes, person might want to sign an assignment for all per future changes to the program. So it is useful to offer per that alternative. If person wants to do it that way, send per the request-assign.future.

When you send a request- file, you don’t need to fill in anything before sending it. Just send the file verbatim to the contributor. The file gives per instructions for how to ask the FSF to mail per the papers to sign. The request- file also raises the issue of getting an employer’s disclaimer from the contributor’s employer.

If a contributor wants the FSF to publish only a pseudonym, that is ok. The contributor should say this, and state the desired pseudonym, when answering the request- form. The actual legal papers will use the real name, but the FSF will publish only the pseudonym. When using one of the other forms, fill in the real name but ask the contributor to discuss the use of a pseudonym with assign@gnu.org before sending back the signed form.

Although there are other templates besides the ones listed here, they are for special circumstances; please do not use them without getting advice from assign@gnu.org.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* Re: Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-07 23:15   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: acm, fgunbin, emacs-devel

You should not send someone copyright forms yourself!
If you do, it makes administrative trouble for the FSF.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-07 23:37     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-02-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel, fgunbin, Tassilo Horn

Richard Stallman wrote:

> You should not send someone copyright forms yourself!
> If you do, it makes administrative trouble for the FSF.

I think you've misunderstood.
We're just talking about following the standard instructions in
"Copyright Papers" in maintain.info.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html

* Re: Where do I find FSF copyright assignment forms?
@ 2013-02-09 22:01       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: acm, tsdh, fgunbin, emacs-devel

    I think you've misunderstood.
    We're just talking about following the standard instructions in
    "Copyright Papers" in maintain.info.

    http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html

Normally that means you send one of the files request-...
to the contributor.

These aren not the copyright assignment papers.  These are just forms
for the contributor to give the necessary info to our clerk.

--

@ 2013-02-10  0:24         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-02-10  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: acm, tsdh, fgunbin, emacs-devel

From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-10 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: acm, tsdh, fgunbin, emacs-devel

    We've been talking about "forms" all along. You said:

	 You should not send someone copyright forms yourself!

I'm sorry for the confusion.