* [jidanni@jidanni.org: ffap not UTF-8 ready]
@ 2006-10-12 22:38 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-10-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rajesh Vaidheeswarran <rv@gnu.org>, listed as the maintainer of
ffap, is not responding.  Would someone else please DTRT and
ack?

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:44:34 +0800
Subject: ffap not UTF-8 ready

Gentlemen, do
$ touch aaa bbb ????????
$ emacs -Q -f ffap-bindings -f ffap-list-directory
RET C-x o
Now place the cursor on each filename and do C-x C-f and see what is
shown in the minibuffer.

Well, ffap knows about the ASCII filenames, but is unwilling to help
with the Chinese UTF-8 filename.

* [jidanni@jidanni.org: ffap not UTF-8 ready]
@ 2006-12-26 17:22 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is hard to understand, but would someone please at least
try to understand what he means?

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:53:52 +0800
Cc: handa@etl.go.jp

ffap is not UTF-8 ready, I put the cursor on ./???? or whatever and it
acts like the file Doesn't exist.

* Re: [jidanni@jidanni.org: ffap not UTF-8 ready]
@ 2006-12-26 18:58 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2006-12-26 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms

|> ffap is not UTF-8 ready, I put the cursor on ./???? or whatever and it
|> acts like the file Doesn't exist.

I tried it on several filenames (all of which exist on my filesystem).

On every file where the first character was ASCII and was not modified
by a combining character, ffap worked as expected.

But on every file where the second character was a combining character
(such as the file named C̶.utf8 -- that is a C followed by U+0336, which
is called COMBINING LONG STROKE OVERLAY) ffap failed to recognize the
string as being a filename.  It also failed when the string started
with a non-ASCII character, such as a kanji or a greek character.

Some testing shows that (ffap-string-at-point) skips strings such as
those described above.  I guess this is because of the default value
of ffap-string-at-point-mode-alist.  For finding files it looks for
strings of "--:$+<>@-Z_a-z~*?", dropping "<@" from the beginning and
dropping "@>;.,!:" from the end.  That first string needs to be
expanded to support non-ASCII characters which might be used for
filenames.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6