* [raman@users.sf.net: shell-mode: cursor Point loses on long prompts:]
@ 2006-10-10 16:47 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-10-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

It sounds like this is a bug in the field handling of line-move.
Would someone please investigate, then respond with the diagnosis?

I am not sure whether it is better to fix this or leave it alone,
but we should figure out what's wrong before deciding that.

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:36:00 -0700
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net>
Subject: shell-mode: cursor Point loses on long prompts:

I admit this is somewhat pathological --- but I've hit it a
couple of times when  in directories that have long names (with
lots of white space chars in the dir name).
(you end up running into more and more of these as you rip CDs to
MP3)

If you have bash showing the working directory, for instance my
PS1 is

\t \h \W $

then after executing commands like ls in such a directory, c-p no
longer moves  point past the recently displayed prompt.

Here is a test case, comprised  the lines pasted from the shell
buffer, interspersed with comments:

#cd to /tmp and make a bogus directory there:
mkdir 'a     directory         with     a     very     long     file name '
18:27:21 labrador tmp $ cd a\ \ \ \ \ directory\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ with\ \ \ \ \ a\ \ \ \ \ very\ \ \ \ \ long\ \ \ \ \ file\ name\ /
18:27:28 labrador a     directory         with     a     very long     file name  $ ls
18:27:39 labrador a     directory         with     a     very     long     file name  $

#execute ls, after the next prompt is displayed, pressing c-p
 leaves  point trapped after the prompt. Hitting C-c C-p moves
 prompt correctly to the line where ls was executed.

- --
Best Regards,
- --raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* [raman@users.sf.net: shell-mode: cursor Point loses on long prompts:]
@ 2006-10-17 12:34 Richard Stallman

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:36:00 -0700
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net>

* Re: [raman@users.sf.net: shell-mode: cursor Point loses on long prompts:]
@ 2006-10-18  4:59 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-18  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It sounds like this is a bug in the field handling of line-move.
> Would someone please investigate, then respond with the diagnosis?

The trouble is that line-move-1 calls `beginning-of-line', then
(vertical-motion -1).  On field on a continued line, this doesn't move
far enough, and we return to the original position when trying to
return to the old column.  I installed a hack to work around this.

@ 2006-10-24 17:43 Richard Stallman

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:36:00 -0700
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net>

@ 2006-10-24 19:51 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> [I sent this message twice but did not get a response.]

I fixed this about two weeks ago.