* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
       [not found] ` <200601101154.k0ABsWsm011714@rocksteady.printf.se>
@ 2006-01-11 11:16   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-01-11 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zedek, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

In article <200601101154.k0ABsWsm011714@rocksteady.printf.se>, Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com> writes:

>>  When setting rmail-enable-mime in my .emacs to t, I get a backtrace when I try
>>  to display a message like this one:
>>
>>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
>>    nil()
>>    rmail-show-message(372)
>>    rmail-summary-goto-msg(nil)
>>    call-interactively(rmail-summary-goto-msg)
>>
>>  It does it whatever the message is.

> That's because rmail-enable-mime requires external packages.  I suppose
> the docstring ought to mention this.

I agree.  I'm going to install this change.  What do you
think?  The reason of the change from `message' to
`display-warning' is that the echo area message is too short
and is soon overriden by another message.

By the way, I've just noticed that rmail-mime package is
currently not available on the web.  So, I created this page:
<http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/index.html>.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

*** rmail.el	10 Jan 2006 20:52:13 +0900	1.418
--- rmail.el	11 Jan 2006 13:24:19 +0900
***************
*** 543,549 ****
    "*If non-nil, RMAIL uses MIME feature.
  If the value is t, RMAIL automatically shows MIME decoded message.
  If the value is neither t nor nil, RMAIL does not show MIME decoded message
! until a user explicitly requires it."
    :type '(choice (const :tag "on" t)
  		 (const :tag "off" nil)
  		 (other :tag "when asked" ask))
--- 543,553 ----
    "*If non-nil, RMAIL uses MIME feature.
  If the value is t, RMAIL automatically shows MIME decoded message.
  If the value is neither t nor nil, RMAIL does not show MIME decoded message
! until a user explicitly requires it.
!
! Even if the value is non-nil, you can't use MIME feature
! if the feature specified by `rmail-mime-feature' is not available
! in your session."
    :type '(choice (const :tag "on" t)
  		 (const :tag "off" nil)
  		 (other :tag "when asked" ask))
***************
*** 595,601 ****
  (defvar rmail-mime-feature 'rmail-mime
    "Feature to require to load MIME support in Rmail.
  When starting Rmail, if `rmail-enable-mime' is non-nil,
! this feature is required with `require'.")

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar rmail-decode-mime-charset t
--- 599,608 ----
  (defvar rmail-mime-feature 'rmail-mime
    "Feature to require to load MIME support in Rmail.
  When starting Rmail, if `rmail-enable-mime' is non-nil,
! this feature is required with `require'.
!
! The default value is `rmail-mime'.  This feature is provided by
! the rmail-mime package available at <http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/>.")

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar rmail-decode-mime-charset t
***************
*** 735,742 ****
      (condition-case err
  	(require rmail-mime-feature)
        (error
!        (message "Feature `%s' not provided" rmail-mime-feature)
!        (sit-for 1)
         (setq rmail-enable-mime nil)))))

--- 742,755 ----
      (condition-case err
  	(require rmail-mime-feature)
        (error
!        (display-warning
! 	:warning
! 	(format "Although MIME support is requested
! by setting `rmail-enable-mime' to non-nil, the required feature
! `%s' (the value of `rmail-mime-feature')
! is not available in the current session.
! So, the MIME support is turned off for the moment."
! 		rmail-mime-feature))
         (setq rmail-enable-mime nil)))))

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-11 15:09     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2006-01-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zedek, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

> >>  When setting rmail-enable-mime in my .emacs to t, I get a backtrace when I try
> >>  to display a message like this one:
> >>
> >>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
> >>    nil()
> >>    rmail-show-message(372)
> >>    rmail-summary-goto-msg(nil)
> >>    call-interactively(rmail-summary-goto-msg)
> >>
> >>  It does it whatever the message is.
>
> > That's because rmail-enable-mime requires external packages.  I suppose
> > the docstring ought to mention this.
>
> I agree.  I'm going to install this change.  What do you
> think?  The reason of the change from `message' to
> `display-warning' is that the echo area message is too short
> and is soon overriden by another message.

Your patch looks like a good idea to me.

> By the way, I've just noticed that rmail-mime package is
> currently not available on the web.  So, I created this page:
> <http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/index.html>.

excellent, when I tried to find it, I had to assemble it from bits found
on various ftp servers.

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-12 21:54       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-01-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel, handa

   From: Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com>
   Cc: zedek@gnu.org, emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org

   > > That's because rmail-enable-mime requires external packages.  I suppose
   > > the docstring ought to mention this.
   >
   > I agree.  I'm going to install this change.  What do you
   > think?  The reason of the change from `message' to
   > `display-warning' is that the echo area message is too short
   > and is soon overriden by another message.

   Your patch looks like a good idea to me.

Seems ok to me.

   > By the way, I've just noticed that rmail-mime package is
   > currently not available on the web.  So, I created this page:
   > <http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/index.html>.

   excellent, when I tried to find it, I had to assemble it from bits found
   on various ftp servers.

Except that here, it just fails when trying to make it:

[zedek@totoz-linux 22:37:02 rmail-mime]$ make
echo '
      ' > lisp/autodefs.el
emacs-snapshot -q --no-site-file -batch -l autoload --eval \
                '(setq source-directory (expand-file-name ".") \
                       generated-autoload-file "autodefs.el")' \
                -f batch-update-autoloads `find lisp -type d -print`
Wrong type argument: symbolp, "autodefs.el"
make: *** [autodefs.el] Error 255

Regards,

Xavier

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-13  8:15         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-13  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, handa, emacs-pretest-bug

> From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:54:58 +0100
> Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@m17n.org
>
> Except that here, it just fails when trying to make it:
>
> [zedek@totoz-linux 22:37:02 rmail-mime]$ make
> echo '
>       ' > lisp/autodefs.el
> emacs-snapshot -q --no-site-file -batch -l autoload --eval \
>                 '(setq source-directory (expand-file-name ".") \
>                        generated-autoload-file "autodefs.el")' \
>                 -f batch-update-autoloads `find lisp -type d -print`
> Wrong type argument: symbolp, "autodefs.el"
> make: *** [autodefs.el] Error 255

What is your version of Make?  It looks like the Makefile that comes
with rmail-mime is buggy: a command-line argument that is quoted with
single quotes '..' cannot be split between two lines like that,
because the shell will retain the newline, and Emacs will see bad
Lisp.  Latest version of GNU Make make a point of passing such
commands to the shell without removing the newline, so such bugs
started popping up.

A simple work-around is to edit the Makefile so that the '..'-quoted
argument, the one which starts with ``'(setq'', is on a single line.

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-16 12:14         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-01-16 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: henrik.enberg, emacs-devel, emacs-pretest-bug

In article <1137102898.278194.4897.nullmailer@totoz-linux.gnu-rox.org>, Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:
> Except that here, it just fails when trying to make it:

> [zedek@totoz-linux 22:37:02 rmail-mime]$ make
> echo '
>       ' > lisp/autodefs.el
> emacs-snapshot -q --no-site-file -batch -l autoload --eval \
>                 '(setq source-directory (expand-file-name ".") \
>                        generated-autoload-file "autodefs.el")' \
>                 -f batch-update-autoloads `find lisp -type d -print`
> Wrong type argument: symbolp, "autodefs.el"
> make: *** [autodefs.el] Error 255

There's also another problem for this package.

I'll update a new vesion as soon as the problem of
mh-acros.el advising `require' is fixed.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-18  2:17           ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-01-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zedek, henrik.enberg, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

In article <E1EyTFw-0003kD-00@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article
> <1137102898.278194.4897.nullmailer@totoz-linux.gnu-rox.org>,
> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:
>>  Except that here, it just fails when trying to make it:

>>  [zedek@totoz-linux 22:37:02 rmail-mime]$ make echo ' ' >
>> lisp/autodefs.el emacs-snapshot -q --no-site-file -batch
>> -l autoload --eval \ '(setq source-directory
>> (expand-file-name ".") \ generated-autoload-file
>> "autodefs.el")' \ -f batch-update-autoloads `find lisp
>> -type d -print` Wrong type argument: symbolp,
>> "autodefs.el" make: *** [autodefs.el] Error 255

> There's also another problem for this package.

> I'll update a new vesion as soon as the problem of
> mh-acros.el advising `require' is fixed.

It seems that it take some more time.  So, I've just added a
workaround of unadivising `require' while compiling.  Please
try the updated rmail-mime.tar.gz.

As Makefile itself is also fixed, I think the above error
doesn't occur now.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
@ 2006-01-18 22:38           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-01-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: henrik.enberg, emacs-devel, handa, emacs-pretest-bug

   From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
   Cc: henrik.enberg@telia.com, emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org,
           emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@m17n.org

   > From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org>
   > Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:54:58 +0100
   > Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, handa@m17n.org
   >
   > Except that here, it just fails when trying to make it:
   >
   > [zedek@totoz-linux 22:37:02 rmail-mime]$ make
   > echo '
   >       ' > lisp/autodefs.el
   > emacs-snapshot -q --no-site-file -batch -l autoload --eval \
   >                 '(setq source-directory (expand-file-name ".") \
   >                        generated-autoload-file "autodefs.el")' \
   >                 -f batch-update-autoloads `find lisp -type d -print`
   > Wrong type argument: symbolp, "autodefs.el"
   > make: *** [autodefs.el] Error 255

   What is your version of Make?

,----[ make -v ]

`----

   A simple work-around is to edit the Makefile so that the '..'-quoted
   argument, the one which starts with ``'(setq'', is on a single line.

Thank you, it worked like a charm.

Xavier