* cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-13 14:31 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-12-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to follow the instructions at
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168. I followed the
instructions "For anonymous working copies" but did not do those under
"For project member working copy".

I am always doing an anonymous checkout following the current
instructions on Emas home page (with plink which is/was necessary for
w32) and that seems fine:

    set CVS_RSH=c:\dl\cvs\plink.exe
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co
emacs

However when I now try to do

    cvs diff -u

I get

    Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

   CVS moved to cvs.savannah.[non]gnu.org
   Check http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168 for details.
   Anonymous access over SSH is replaced by the (more efficient) pserver.

and then it hangs. This worked before. Is this a w32 specific problem
perhaps? Or did I do something wrong?

* Re: cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-13 16:40 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-12-13 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   and then it hangs. This worked before. Is this a w32 specific problem
   perhaps? Or did I do something wrong?

I do not believe that this is w32 specific.  You probably still have
the old entries (USER@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs) instead of
USER@cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs in your CVS/Root files.  There
_must_ be some CVS command that allows you to update all CVS/Root
files automatically, but I can somehow not find it in the CVS manual.
Personally, I ran find-grep-dired for the old entry in my Emacs CVS
directory and then used Dired's Q command to perform a query replace,
but that was almost certainly terribly silly (although it worked).
I am not a CVS expert.

If you can not do a better job than me in searching the CVS manual,
you probably want to wait till somebody tells you how to really do it,
rather than follow my example.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-13 17:55   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-12-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:

> There _must_ be some CVS command that allows you to update all CVS/Root
> files automatically, but I can somehow not find it in the CVS manual.

There is none.  Here is a script that does it for you:

#!/bin/sh
find -path "*/CVS/Root" |
while read root; do
  echo "$1" > $root
done

Andreas.

* Re: cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-14  5:11   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-14  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    Personally, I ran find-grep-dired for the old entry in my Emacs CVS
    directory and then used Dired's Q command to perform a query replace,

That would be awfully painful if you had to approve
each change.  Did ! work to avoid that?

I was given this script by the Savannah hackers.

find -path '.*/CVS/Root' -print0 | xargs -0 perl -i -p -e 's/\@s/\@cvs.s/'

* Re: cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-14  5:12 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-14  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

When there are problems with Savannah, please write to
savannah-hackers@gnu.org.  That reaches the people who work
on Savannah and can fix such a problem.

All anyone on this list can do is forward it there.
I have just done so.

* Re: cvs diff -u does not work after Savannah change
@ 2005-12-14 17:07     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-12-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, teirllm, emacs-devel

>     Personally, I ran find-grep-dired for the old entry in my Emacs CVS
>     directory and then used Dired's Q command to perform a query replace,
>
> That would be awfully painful if you had to approve
> each change.  Did ! work to avoid that?

It's a pity the scope of ! is only one file, but not the whole set of files.

> I was given this script by the Savannah hackers.
>
> find -path '.*/CVS/Root' -print0 | xargs -0 perl -i -p -e 's/\@s/\@cvs.s/'

This script is from http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168.
All necessary information is on this page.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/