* Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-11-16 21:14 Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-11-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

When running a text mode Emacs in a multibyte environment (eg. utf8 xterm
with LANG=de_DE.UTF-8), and visiting a binary file (like /bin/true) you
get a garbled screen. The problem is that all non-control characters are
written verbatim to the terminal as if it were single-byte encoded.  Even
setting the buffer to multibyte and the terminal coding system to utf-8
doesn't help.  The only way to get a correct display is to load the file
with a forced coding system of utf-8 or some single-byte coding system.

Andreas.

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-11-16 22:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-16 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> The problem is that all non-control characters are
> written verbatim to the terminal as if it were single-byte encoded.

You mean all the eight-bit-* chars?  I'd argue that such chars should always
be written as \NNN except for the special legacy case of unibyte sessions.

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-11-17  0:54   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-11-17  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> The problem is that all non-control characters are
>> written verbatim to the terminal as if it were single-byte encoded.
>
> You mean all the eight-bit-* chars?

Only eight-bit-graphic.

> I'd argue that such chars should always be written as \NNN except for
> the special legacy case of unibyte sessions.

Looking closer the problem is the standard-display-table.  It is set up to
display all characters codes 0xa1-0xff as itself.

@ 2005-12-07  7:41   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-12-07  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

Sorry for the late response.

In article <87d5l0gs9n.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>  The problem is that all non-control characters are
>>  written verbatim to the terminal as if it were single-byte encoded.

> You mean all the eight-bit-* chars?  I'd argue that such chars should always
> be written as \NNN except for the special legacy case of unibyte sessions.

This was the case that a binary file is read into a unibyte
buffer, and \240..\377 are displayed as is; i.e. those exact
bytes are sent to the terminal.  That's happened because
Emacs setup standard-display-table for Latin-1 even if the
locale is UTF-8.  I'v just installed a fix not to setup
standard-display-table in such a case.

But, it seems that you are proposing not to setup
standard-display-table even if the locale is Latin-1, right?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-12-07 12:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-07 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

>>> The problem is that all non-control characters are
>>> written verbatim to the terminal as if it were single-byte encoded.

>> You mean all the eight-bit-* chars?  I'd argue that such chars should always
>> be written as \NNN except for the special legacy case of unibyte sessions.

> This was the case that a binary file is read into a unibyte
> buffer, and \240..\377 are displayed as is; i.e. those exact
> bytes are sent to the terminal.  That's happened because
> Emacs setup standard-display-table for Latin-1 even if the
> locale is UTF-8.  I'v just installed a fix not to setup
> standard-display-table in such a case.

> But, it seems that you are proposing not to setup
> standard-display-table even if the locale is Latin-1, right?

Yes, that's indeed what I'm proposing.

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-12-07 13:02       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-12-07 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

In article <87vey13w7y.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>  But, it seems that you are proposing not to setup
>>  standard-display-table even if the locale is Latin-1, right?

> Yes, that's indeed what I'm proposing.

As I'm not a Latin-X user, I'm not sure about it, but I've
thought that a Latin-1 user expects to see \240..\377 of a
unibyte buffer (for instance the case of visiting a binary
file) by Latin-1 characters.  If that's not true anymore, I
agree with such a change, but of course, after the release.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-12-07 14:47         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

>>> But, it seems that you are proposing not to setup
>>> standard-display-table even if the locale is Latin-1, right?
>> Yes, that's indeed what I'm proposing.
> As I'm not a Latin-X user, I'm not sure about it, but I've
> thought that a Latin-1 user expects to see \240..\377 of a
> unibyte buffer (for instance the case of visiting a binary
> file) by Latin-1 characters.  If that's not true anymore, I
> agree with such a change, but of course, after the release.

It's never been true for me.  When visiting a binary file, I don't expect
to see much of anything, really, other than hopefully some recognizable
ASCII somewhere.

But I don't claim to be representative of all latin-1 users.

* Re: Text mode Emacs in multibyte terminal
@ 2005-12-08 19:29     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, monnier, emacs-devel

    But, it seems that you are proposing not to setup
    standard-display-table even if the locale is Latin-1, right?

This is not a bug fix, it is a proposal to change the features.
Now is not the time to consider such a change, so please
let's drop the idea.