* focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-04-19 16:29 Evil Boris
From: Evil Boris @ 2005-04-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

This seems to work properly in 21.3, but not in current/recent CVS.
This is on Solaris running twm as the window manager.

If I invoke ediff, say to compare two files, ediff starts a little
separate "control frame".

-- On Windows, this frame gets focus and the pointer gets warped there.
-- On Linux/Sawfish, the same.
-- On Solaris/twm (focus follows pointer), the X pointer gets warped
   into the bottom right corner of the screen!

Any ideas/comments?  Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

    --Boris

* Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-04-25 19:00 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-04-25 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Evil Boris wrote:

>This seems to work properly in 21.3, but not in current/recent CVS.
>This is on Solaris running twm as the window manager.
>
>If I invoke ediff, say to compare two files, ediff starts a little
>separate "control frame".
>
>-- On Windows, this frame gets focus and the pointer gets warped there.
>-- On Linux/Sawfish, the same.
>-- On Solaris/twm (focus follows pointer), the X pointer gets warped
>   into the bottom right corner of the screen!
>
>Any ideas/comments?  Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

I can not be reproduce this on Solaris 9.

    Jan D.

* Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-04-30 20:07   ` Evil Boris
From: Evil Boris @ 2005-04-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> Evil Boris wrote:
>
>>This seems to work properly in 21.3, but not in current/recent CVS.
>>This is on Solaris running twm as the window manager.
>>
>>If I invoke ediff, say to compare two files, ediff starts a little
>> separate "control frame".
>>
>>-- On Windows, this frame gets focus and the pointer gets warped there.
>>-- On Linux/Sawfish, the same.
>>-- On Solaris/twm (focus follows pointer), the X pointer gets warped
>>   into the bottom right corner of the screen!
>>
>>Any ideas/comments?  Can anyone reproduce this behavior?
>>

> I can not be reproduce this on Solaris 9.

I am on Solaris 7.  Do not see how it should matter, though.  Any
hints on how I would go about tracking this down?  A really primitive
test of the pointer positioning function seems to indicate it works!

* Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-05-01 17:57     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-05-01 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Evil Boris wrote:

>"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>

>>Evil Boris wrote:
>>

>>>This seems to work properly in 21.3, but not in current/recent CVS.
>>>This is on Solaris running twm as the window manager.
>>>
>>>If I invoke ediff, say to compare two files, ediff starts a little
>>>separate "control frame".
>>>
>>>-- On Windows, this frame gets focus and the pointer gets warped there.
>>>-- On Linux/Sawfish, the same.
>>>-- On Solaris/twm (focus follows pointer), the X pointer gets warped
>>>  into the bottom right corner of the screen!
>>>
>>>Any ideas/comments?  Can anyone reproduce this behavior?
>>>

>>I can not be reproduce this on Solaris 9.
>>

>I am on Solaris 7.  Do not see how it should matter, though.  Any
>hints on how I would go about tracking this down?  A really primitive
>test of the pointer positioning function seems to indicate it works!

I can actually reproduce this on any platform with any window manager
now.  There is a tiny interval between giving the two files/buffers for
ediff to compare and when the small ediff window is popped up. If I move
the mouse in that interval the pointer is warped to the bottom right
corner.  Also, if after I have given the two files/buffers and the
pointer is not over any Emacs frame, ediff will warp the pointer to the
bottom right corner.

The warping code in ediff was not immediately obvious, I think an ediff
expert should take a look at this.  It may have something to do with
focus on click or focus follows pointer.  It looks like an ediff
specific problem.

    Jan D.

* Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-05-02 15:21       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-02 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, evilborisnet

    The warping code in ediff was not immediately obvious, I think an ediff
    expert should take a look at this.  It may have something to do with
    focus on click or focus follows pointer.  It looks like an ediff
    specific problem.

Could you talk with kifer@cs.sunysb.edu about it?

* Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
@ 2005-06-16 16:22       ` Evil Boris
From: Evil Boris @ 2005-06-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

>>"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

>>>I can not be reproduce this on Solaris 9.

> I can actually reproduce this on any platform with any window manager
> now.  There is a tiny interval between giving the two files/buffers
> for ediff to compare and when the small ediff window is popped up. If
> I move the mouse in that interval the pointer is warped to the bottom
> right corner.  Also, if after I have given the two files/buffers and
> the pointer is not over any Emacs frame, ediff will warp the pointer
> to the bottom right corner.
>
> The warping code in ediff was not immediately obvious, I think an
> ediff expert should take a look at this.  It may have something to do
> with focus on click or focus follows pointer.  It looks like an ediff
> specific problem.
>
>     Jan D.

Now I can no longer reproduce the problem on my end.  May have been a
"feature" of an X server that was up for way too long for its own
sanity.

Just thought you might want to know.

--Boris