* [Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl: Re: junk in *grep* buffers]
@ 2005-04-11 18:12 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-04-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would someone please investigate this bug?
Please respond to this message if you investigate it.

To: Dave Love <fx@gnu.org>
From: Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:46:34 +0200
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Subject: Re: junk in *grep* buffers

Dave Love <fx@gnu.org> writes:

> Escape sequences appear randomly in *grep* buffers, at least on
> lines with two matches.  You can get different results from running
> the same grep multiple times, but not reproducibly, and you may not
> see the escapes the first time.

[...]

I've noticed a problem that's likely related.

When I do M-x grep and use

  grep -nH -e "(define-minor-mode" lisp/*.el

I get a *grep* buffer with occurrences of "(define-minor-mode" in lisp
files.  Every time that I tried, most lines in this buffer give the
text "(define-minor-mode" the grep-match-face, but a few lines don't
fontify "(define-minor-mode".  The strange thing is that the lines
that don't fontify "(define-minor-mode" are different every time I
invoke grep.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that something goes awry with the
interaction between font-locking and the code in
grep-mode-font-lock-keywords that removes the escape sequences.

Lute.

* [Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl: Re: junk in *grep* buffers]
@ 2005-04-26 10:06 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-04-26 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: Dave Love <fx@gnu.org>
From: Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:46:34 +0200
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org

* Re: [Lute.Kamstra.lists@xs4all.nl: Re: junk in *grep* buffers]
@ 2005-05-10 12:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2005-05-10 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra writes:

> I get a *grep* buffer with occurrences of "(define-minor-mode" in lisp
> files.  Every time that I tried, most lines in this buffer give the
> text "(define-minor-mode" the grep-match-face, but a few lines don't
> fontify "(define-minor-mode".  The strange thing is that the lines
> that don't fontify "(define-minor-mode" are different every time I
> invoke grep.

Very wild guess.  Please do C-h v tramp-chunksize RET and run the Lisp
code shown in the documentation for tramp-chunksize and report your
findings.

The Lisp snippet contains a number, 1000.  If you do not observe a
problem (i.e., you that bytes sent always equals bytes received), then
please also try larger values, 10000 or 100000 or 1000000.

Kai