* calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29  7:44 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-03-29  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doing h h in calc gives what looks like outdated info:

GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.02g of Mon Nov 19 2001.
  By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
  Copyright (C) 1990, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29 16:21 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-03-29 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger, emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Doing h h in calc gives what looks like outdated info:
>
> GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.02g of Mon Nov 19 2001.
>   By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>   Copyright (C) 1990, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

It's been updated; now it looks like

 GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.

@ 2005-03-29 20:50   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-29 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> Doing h h in calc gives what looks like outdated info:
>>
>> GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.02g of Mon Nov 19 2001.
>>   By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>>   Copyright (C) 1990, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> It's been updated; now it looks like
>
>  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

You must not remove the old copyright years IIRC: copyright runs after
publishing, and some parts of calc will have copyrights run out
earlier.  All years with significant contributions should be mentioned
at least in the source code, but probably also here.

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29 21:51     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-03-29 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, belanger, Kim F. Storm

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:
>
>> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>>
>>> Doing h h in calc gives what looks like outdated info:
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.02g of Mon Nov 19 2001.
>>>   By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>>>   Copyright (C) 1990, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> It's been updated; now it looks like
>>
>>  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>>    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>>    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> You must not remove the old copyright years IIRC: copyright runs after
> publishing, and some parts of calc will have copyrights run out
> earlier.  All years with significant contributions should be mentioned
> at least in the source code, but probably also here.

All the years are of course still in the source code, but I didn't
think it'd be necessary to list them all here, and it tends to clutter
up the help screen. This is just an auto-generated summary page, it
isn't clear to me that the copyright information is necessary here at
all.  Is it?  I went to the Emacs splash page for inspiration; that
only puts up one year after the copyright.

Jay

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29 21:56     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-03-29 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, belanger, Kim F. Storm

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > It's been updated; now it looks like
>  >
>  >  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>  >    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>  >    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> If you are the current author, then I think you should include your details
> otherwise all feedback will go to Dave Gillespie.

I'm the maintainer, not the author, and hopefully feedback will be
sent using M-x report-calc-bug.
But you're right, this might get some reports sent to Dave Gillespie.
Perhaps his email address should be removed, and replaced by a
parenthetical (maintained by ... belanger@truman.edu).

> You should also get some credit for your work too because the pay is
> lousy!

:)

Jay

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29 22:12   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-03-29 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

 > It's been updated; now it looks like
 >
 >  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
 >    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
 >    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

If you are the current author, then I think you should include your details
otherwise all feedback will go to Dave Gillespie. You should also get some
credit for your work too because the pay is lousy!

Nick

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-29 23:17       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-03-29 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

> Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:
>
>>  > It's been updated; now it looks like
>>  >
>>  >  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>>  >    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>>  >    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> If you are the current author, then I think you should include your details
>> otherwise all feedback will go to Dave Gillespie.
>
> I'm the maintainer, not the author, and hopefully feedback will be
> sent using M-x report-calc-bug.

Since calc is distributed with Emacs 22.x, I don't see a reason
to have a separate report-calc-bug function anymore.

> But you're right, this might get some reports sent to Dave Gillespie.
> Perhaps his email address should be removed, and replaced by a
> parenthetical (maintained by ... belanger@truman.edu).

Just print Dave's and your name -- and omit the mail addresses.

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-30  8:10         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, belanger, emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:
>
>> Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:
>>
>>>  > It's been updated; now it looks like
>>>  >
>>>  >  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>>>  >    By Dave Gillespie, daveg@synaptics.com.
>>>  >    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> If you are the current author, then I think you should include your details
>>> otherwise all feedback will go to Dave Gillespie.
>>
>> I'm the maintainer, not the author, and hopefully feedback will be
>> sent using M-x report-calc-bug.
>
> Since calc is distributed with Emacs 22.x, I don't see a reason
> to have a separate report-calc-bug function anymore.

The bug reporting commands also report the settings of variables.  If
the general Emacs bug reporting command were to include the values of
all existing subsystems, we would get wagonloads of useless
information.  Also, subsystems often have their own bug reporting
lists and maintainers.

If we want to let everything go by report-emacs-bug, we would need
ways to have specific reports be generated where all active minor
modes have a way to make their variables known, and the major mode
also can specify his own variables and bug reporting addresses.  If
the addresses clash for several active subsystem, Emacs would have to
ask about which system it should report.

Post-22 stuff, if at all.

However, we should probably encourage some conventions.  I have here:

TeX-submit-bug-report
c-submit-bug-report
eshell-report-bug
gnus-bug
preview-report-bug
report-emacs-bug

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-30 10:36           ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-03-30 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, belanger, emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> Since calc is distributed with Emacs 22.x, I don't see a reason
>> to have a separate report-calc-bug function anymore.
>
> The bug reporting commands also report the settings of variables.  If
> the general Emacs bug reporting command were to include the values of
> all existing subsystems, we would get wagonloads of useless
> information.

It may not always be useless...

Actually, it would be sometimes be useful if bug reports contained the
value of all variables with a non-default value.

>               Also, subsystems often have their own bug reporting
> lists and maintainers.

True, but if a package is included with emacs, those maintainers
should follow the emacs bug list anyway.

> However, we should probably encourage some conventions.  I have here:
>
> TeX-submit-bug-report
> c-submit-bug-report
> eshell-report-bug
> gnus-bug
> preview-report-bug
> report-emacs-bug

This just emphasizes my pov -- how does a user know which of those
to use -- or that they exist at all?

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-30 16:20     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-03-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, belanger, emacs-devel

It is ok for these copyright notices to use just the latest year.
(The Emacs startup screen also has just the latest year.)
The sources have more complete information.

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-30 16:31       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, belanger, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It is ok for these copyright notices to use just the latest year.
> (The Emacs startup screen also has just the latest year.)
> The sources have more complete information.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I just hope that such corrections to
misconstruings of mine save others from a similar fate at times...

* Re: calc version / copyright
@ 2005-03-31 18:21             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-03-31 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, belanger, emacs-devel

    Actually, it would be sometimes be useful if bug reports contained the
    value of all variables with a non-default value.

I think that would make the messages a lot longer, so please let's
not pursue this idea.