* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 28, Issue 119
       [not found] <E1DGMY4-0004QH-AC@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-29 20:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-03-29 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Glenn Morris

> From: emacs-diffs-request@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:38:49 -0500
>
> + @kindex C-M-n @r{(Fortran mode)}
>   @kindex C-M-n @r{(F90 mode)}

Why do we need two kindex entries here?  Isn't the one that says
"Fortran mode" enough to cover both Fortran 90 and pre-9x Fortrans?

(Having almost identical index entries pointing to the same place is
BAD.)

> + @kindex C-M-p @r{(Fortran mode)}
>   @kindex C-M-p @r{(F90 mode)}

Same here.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 28, Issue 119
@ 2005-03-29 20:32   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2005-03-29 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" wrote:

>> + @kindex C-M-n @r{(Fortran mode)}
>>   @kindex C-M-n @r{(F90 mode)}
>
> Why do we need two kindex entries here?  Isn't the one that says
> "Fortran mode" enough to cover both Fortran 90 and pre-9x Fortrans?

Probably. But, they are different modes, FWIW. Maybe IW nothing...

I don't know why F90 even gets a mention here. It isn't documented in
the manual otherwise, and it seems odd to just mention four key
bindings.

I'll remove the kindex C-M-n @r{(F90 mode)} line in a bit.

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 28, Issue 119
@ 2005-03-30 16:20   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-03-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gmorris, emacs-devel

    Why do we need two kindex entries here?  Isn't the one that says
    "Fortran mode" enough to cover both Fortran 90 and pre-9x Fortrans?

I agree.  It is wasteful and useless to have the extra index entry for
F90 mode.  These index entries are meant for and used by humans, not
machines, so they can follow common sense rather than rigid rules.