* Emacs on VMS time again
@ 2005-02-25 15:28 Roar Thronæs
From: Roar Thronæs @ 2005-02-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Has anyone here heard anything from Thien-Thi Nguyen lately?
(It is now 6 weeks since his last mail on this list.)

He was in the process of completing the port of Emacs 21.2 to VMS.

--
Regards,
-Roar Thronæs

* Re: Emacs on VMS time again
@ 2005-03-07 16:53 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-03-07 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Roar =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thron=E6s?= <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
   Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:28:09 +0100

   [...] port of Emacs 21.2 to VMS.

hi Roar,

porting work continues.  in cvs, see branches ttn-vms-21-2-stash and
ttn-vms-21-3-stash for (the small trickle) of checkins.  i think i will
make available an interim release in the next couple weeks, seeing how
slow the integration is going.  (this is due in part to the strange
emacs build flow, made even more so by the wacky vms build environment,
etc.)  i suspect you understand these issues better than i could ever
explain.

anyway, thanks for the reminder.  i will cc you the announcement.

thi

* Re: Emacs on VMS time again
@ 2005-03-08 12:06   ` Roar Thronæs
From: Roar Thronæs @ 2005-03-08 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:53:11AM -0500, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>    From: Roar =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thron=E6s?= <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
>    Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:28:09 +0100
>
> porting work continues.  in cvs, see branches ttn-vms-21-2-stash and
> ttn-vms-21-3-stash for (the small trickle) of checkins.  i think i will

I suppose porting (patching) to 21.3 will be easy?
Have you made any thoughts about 22?
(A quick diff between emacs/src from 21.3 to what is currently in CVS
did not reveal anything major (last time it was the addition of atimer that
made some problems, but they now seem to be solved)).

Have you thought anything about minimizing the VMS-specific parts?
There is a Compaq C extension to getcwd that makes it return
Unix-style path, and chdir can handle both styles.
Or would use of Unix-style paths not be well received, or should such
extensions not be used at all?

--
-Roar

* Re: Emacs on VMS time again
@ 2005-03-08 18:50     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-03-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From:	Roar =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thron=E6s?= <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
   Date:	Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:06:21 +0100

   I suppose porting (patching) to 21.3 will be easy?

yes, the difference between 21.2 and 21.3 is minor.

   Have you made any thoughts about 22?

not really.

   Have you thought anything about minimizing the VMS-specific parts?
   There is a Compaq C extension to getcwd that makes it return
   Unix-style path, and chdir can handle both styles.

that is always on my mind, but i'm taking the two-step approach of
first getting it to work given the time-tested facilities, and then
second getting it to work w/ the newer unixoid compatability bits.

   Or would use of Unix-style paths not be well received, or should such
   extensions not be used at all?

generally, if the extension is only available by using a proprietary C
compiler, it will not be considered.  if the extension is in the CRTL, i
will consider it on a case-by-case basis.  for filenames, vms-style
support is now pretty good so this extension may not be ever useful, but
i'm willing to look into it further (after 21.2 under vms escapes).

thi