* Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-10-23 13:54 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-23 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone who has worked on the display code recently
please take a look at this bug?  Please respond to this message
if you work on it.

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:11:01 +0200
Subject: Mouse-face overlay bleeds into header line
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Mouse-face overlays bleed into the header line when the beginning of
the overlay is above (point-min).  To reproduce:

1. Start Emacs with -q -no-site-file.

2. In *scratch* eval (setq ov (make-overlay 66 92)), (overlay-put ov
'mouse-face 'highlight), and (setq header-line-format "test").

3. Drag the mouse over the string "evaluation.\n;; If you want" and
notice the highlighting of only this string.

4. Now click on the down arrow in the scroll bar until the line
beginning ";; If you want" is directly below the header line.

5. Drag the mouse over ";; If you want" and notice that not only it
but also the header line are highlighted.

I have only gotten this with mouse-face overlays; it doesn't happen
with e.g. face overlays, nor with mouse-face text properties.  It also
happens with header lines from packages such as ruler.el and tabbar.el
-- but not with Info (go to e.g. (elisp) Lisp Data Types and scroll
down until line 22 "Types::.)"  is at the top of the buffer, so that
beginning of the mouse-face highlighting is above (point-min):
dragging the mouse over "Types" highlights only it and not the header
line). I don't know why the Info header line doesn't show this
bleeding. I tried making a header the way the Info header line is made
(as a text property), but still got the bleeding.

This bleeding happens in CVS Emacs (with GTK, I haven't tested with
other toolkits) but not in Emacs 21.3 (however, in Emacs 21.3 the same
recipe yields a different bug: when you do step five, the header line
does not get highlighted, but the highlighted ";; If you want" changes
to "; If you wantt").

In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.3)
 of 2004-10-18 on feldmann
configured using `configure '--with-x-toolkit=gtk''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Recent input:
o <backspace> e r t i e s <return> SPC SPC SPC <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> SPC SPC <prior> M-x C-g C-h f r e p o r <tab>
<select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2>
<help-echo> <f1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h f <return>
<select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2>
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> <f11> <return>
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <select-window> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <f1> q M-x r e p o <tab> r
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Creating customization buffer...
Creating customization buttons...
Creating customization items...
Creating customization items ...done
Creating customization setup...
Creating customization buffer...done
Fontifying .gnu-emacs-custom... (regexps..............)
Wrote /home/steve/.gnu-emacs-custom [2 times]
Making completion list...

* Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-06 16:53 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-11-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

We still need someone to fix this.

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:11:01 +0200
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

[...]

* Re: Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-08 22:25 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-11-08 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stephen Berman, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> We still need someone to fix this.
>
> Could someone who has worked on the display code recently
> please take a look at this bug?  Please respond to this message
> if you work on it.

I have fixed the "bleeding into header line" bug.

I also fixed a problem that mouse face was not cleared if moving
from highlighted text into header line, fringe, etc.

* Re: Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-09 22:32   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2004-11-09 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:25:48 +0100 storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> I have fixed the "bleeding into header line" bug.

As the OP of this bug report, I want to confirm that the fix works for
me; thanks!

I also have a related question, which I'm very curious to know the
answer to: as I mentioned in my bug report, the "bleeding" didn't
happen in Info, with the Info header line, and I couldn't figure out
what makes it different from other header lines (at least the ones I
defined myself and in e.g. tabbar-mode).  Do you (or anyone else
reading this) know?

Steve Berman

* Re: Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-10  9:12     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-11-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:25:48 +0100 storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
>
>> I have fixed the "bleeding into header line" bug.
>
> As the OP of this bug report, I want to confirm that the fix works for
> me; thanks!

Good.

> I also have a related question, which I'm very curious to know the
> answer to: as I mentioned in my bug report, the "bleeding" didn't
> happen in Info, with the Info header line, and I couldn't figure out
> what makes it different from other header lines (at least the ones I
> defined myself and in e.g. tabbar-mode).  Do you (or anyone else
> reading this) know?

Strange -- but maybe the header line font is slightly smaller than the
text line you scroll out of view (behind the header line) -- in which
case there is no "hidden" line that can bleed into the header line.

* Re: Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-11 23:35       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2004-11-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:12:33 +0100 storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I also have a related question, which I'm very curious to know the
>> answer to: as I mentioned in my bug report, the "bleeding" didn't
>> happen in Info, with the Info header line, and I couldn't figure out
>> what makes it different from other header lines (at least the ones I
>> defined myself and in e.g. tabbar-mode).  Do you (or anyone else
>> reading this) know?
>
> Strange -- but maybe the header line font is slightly smaller than the
> text line you scroll out of view (behind the header line) -- in which
> case there is no "hidden" line that can bleed into the header line.

I don't follow you: What hidden line is there beside the one that is
scrolled behind the header line and how does the difference in font
size stop it from being hidden?  The line that's scrolled behind the
header is not visible, or do you mean something else by "hidden"?  It
sounds like you're suggesting that with a header line font which is
slightly smaller that the text font, there shouldn't be this bleeding.
But it appears that this makes no difference: When I enable the tab
bar it has a default face with a height of scale 0.8, but whether I
use this or make the height the same as the text font, the bleeding
occurs (in the absence of your fix, of course!).  In contrast, in
Info, where the bleeding doesn't occur, the header line and text have
the same font by default.

* Re: Bug in mouse highlighting
@ 2004-11-12  0:56         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-11-12  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:12:33 +0100 storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> I also have a related question, which I'm very curious to know the
>>> answer to: as I mentioned in my bug report, the "bleeding" didn't
>>> happen in Info, with the Info header line, and I couldn't figure out
>>> what makes it different from other header lines (at least the ones I
>>> defined myself and in e.g. tabbar-mode).  Do you (or anyone else
>>> reading this) know?
>>
>> Strange -- but maybe the header line font is slightly smaller than the
>> text line you scroll out of view (behind the header line) -- in which
>> case there is no "hidden" line that can bleed into the header line.
>
> I don't follow you: What hidden line is there beside the one that is
> scrolled behind the header line and how does the difference in font
> size stop it from being hidden?  The line that's scrolled behind the
> header is not visible, or do you mean something else by "hidden"?  It
> sounds like you're suggesting that with a header line font which is
> slightly smaller that the text font, there shouldn't be this bleeding.
> But it appears that this makes no difference: When I enable the tab
> bar it has a default face with a height of scale 0.8, but whether I
> use this or make the height the same as the text font, the bleeding
> occurs (in the absence of your fix, of course!).  In contrast, in
> Info, where the bleeding doesn't occur, the header line and text have
> the same font by default.

I don't know -- and I don't really want to think about it.
Things seem to work now, that's good enough for me :-)