* [jidanni@jidanni.org: parts of modeline live in spacious suburbs, others can't even pay rent]
@ 2004-02-14 17:15 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

He seems to be suggesting that we leave the parent file name
out of the mode line, or truncate it.

To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
From: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:04:46 +0800
Subject: parts of modeline live in spacious suburbs, others can't even pay
 rent
Sender: bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

Gentlemen, let's examine the modeline on my already 95 column wide terminal.

- --B-:%%-F1  fetch-script-wget-jidanni.org (fetch-script-wget-jidanni.org.zip)      (Shell-script[

Certainly you notice the big gap between the parenthesized items, and
at the same time there are things truncated.

Try it yourself, hit v v on a .zip file in dired.

But this exposes a larger problem, a systemic problem perhaps:
Some parts of the modeline are basking in the leisure space only found
in the most affluent of suburbs, whilst other parts are being shoved
off the 3rd world cliff of destitution.

The modeline needs to operate as a whole, a continuum, a gestalt... I
prescribe a dose of fill-paragraph, with the JUSTIFY argument, on it
before airing it in public...

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-02-14 17:15 UTC | newest]