* Odd error after CVS build
@ 2004-02-10 17:49 Tom Emerson
From: Tom Emerson @ 2004-02-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I built the latest (as of 2004-02-05) CVS tip on a Linux machine:

GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.4)

On startup I get an error:

"Failure to create stdio stream for /opt/gnu-cvs/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/paren.elc"

I googled for this error and found nothing recent. Can someone
enlighten me as to where to begin looking for a solution to this?

TIA,

    -tree

Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com

* Re: Odd error after CVS build
@ 2004-02-11 14:58 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    On startup I get an error:

    "Failure to create stdio stream for /opt/gnu-cvs/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/paren.elc"

That message comes from Flread.  How about making a backtrace, then
stepping thru to see what causes the problem?

* Re: Odd error after CVS build
@ 2004-02-11 21:37   ` Tom Emerson
From: Tom Emerson @ 2004-02-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman writes:
>     On startup I get an error:
>
>     "Failure to create stdio stream for /opt/gnu-cvs/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/paren.elc"
>
> That message comes from Flread.  How about making a backtrace, then
> stepping thru to see what causes the problem?

If I invoke emacs with --debug-init then I get the error when the
debugger tries to load...

@ 2004-02-13 17:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > That message comes from Flread.  How about making a backtrace, then
    > stepping thru to see what causes the problem?

    If I invoke emacs with --debug-init then I get the error when the
    debugger tries to load...

We're talking about C code, so you need to use GDB, not the Lisp
debugger.  Please put a breakpoint into Fload using GDB and make a
backtrace from there.