* diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-02-11  6:21 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-11  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just installed a change that makes diff.el use diff-mode.
It considerably simplifies the code of diff.el while at the same time
bringing a whole bunch of improvements to diff.el.  It's also part of the
effort to clear the way for the new compile.el.

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-02-11 14:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dapfy, emacs-devel

    I've just installed a change that makes diff.el use diff-mode.
    It considerably simplifies the code of diff.el while at the same time
    bringing a whole bunch of improvements to diff.el.  It's also part of the
    effort to clear the way for the new compile.el.

Thank you.  I'm eager to see the new compile.el installed.

Daniel, what obstacles still remain?

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-02-11 18:11   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dapfy, emacs-devel

>     I've just installed a change that makes diff.el use diff-mode.
>     It considerably simplifies the code of diff.el while at the same time
>     bringing a whole bunch of improvements to diff.el.  It's also part of the
>     effort to clear the way for the new compile.el.
> Thank you.

Note that it was mostly Daniel's work.
Also using diff-mode implies that things work differently.
I think the benefit is worth the cost.

> I'm eager to see the new compile.el installed.

Same here.

> Daniel, what obstacles still remain?

The only packages that might still suffer are tex-mode and ada-xref.
The tex-mode part is code that works very poorly as it is, so I doubt people
use it much.  I expect most people who need such feature use AUCTeX instead,
so I think it's OK to just junk it.

We may be able to implement a better replacement afterwards using the new
compile.el, actually.  But I don't think this should stop us from
installing the new compile.el.

As for ada-xref.el, I'll let Daniel explain what might be broken, because
I don't know.  It's not even clear to me whether it would be broken
or not.  Also the ada-xref.el code does some really fishy things which
might break other packages.  See the example of code I appended.
I think th best way to get this code working with the new compile.el is to
install the new code and wait for someone to complain, because I don't know
anyone who understands what bugs might be introduced.  Once/if we have an
actual bug-report we'll be better able to go about fixing things.

        Stefan

      ;;  Temporarily replaces the definition of `comint-exec' so that we
      ;;  can execute commands before running gdb.
      ;;  FIXME: This is evil and not temporary !!!  -stef
      (fset 'comint-exec
	    `(lambda (buffer name command startfile switches)
	       (let (compilation-buffer-name-function)
		 (save-excursion
		   (set 'compilation-buffer-name-function
			(lambda(x) (buffer-name buffer)))
		   (compile (ada-quote-cmd
			     (concat ,pre-cmd
				     command " "
				     (mapconcat 'identity switches " "))))))
	       ))

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-02-12  1:38     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-02-12  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dapfy, rms, emacs-devel

> Also using diff-mode implies that things work differently.
> I think the benefit is worth the cost.

I don't think the old behavior was really any better, just different.

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-02-13 17:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dapfy, emacs-devel

    The tex-mode part is code that works very poorly as it is, so I doubt people
    use it much.  I expect most people who need such feature use AUCTeX instead,
    so I think it's OK to just junk it.

Ok.

    We may be able to implement a better replacement afterwards using the new
    compile.el, actually.  But I don't think this should stop us from
    installing the new compile.el.

    As for ada-xref.el, I'll let Daniel explain what might be broken, because
    I don't know.  It's not even clear to me whether it would be broken
    or not.  Also the ada-xref.el code does some really fishy things which
    might break other packages.

I will ask the author of that package to contact Daniel.

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-03-11 22:19   ` Daniel Pfeiffer
From: Daniel Pfeiffer @ 2004-03-11 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Hi,

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Thank you.  I'm eager to see the new compile.el installed.

Encouraged by this eagerness, I'd formally submitted this weeks ago.  Stefan
noticed a slight restriction with grep, which I sent a clean patch for.  So
what's keeping it from showing up in CVS?

best regards
Daniel

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-03-11 22:42     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-11 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>> Thank you.  I'm eager to see the new compile.el installed.

> Encouraged by this eagerness, I'd formally submitted this weeks ago.  Stefan
> noticed a slight restriction with grep, which I sent a clean patch for.  So
> what's keeping it from showing up in CVS?

It's installed now.

        Stefan

PS: It would be more convenient if you had CVS write-access.

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-03-12  8:37       ` Daniel Pfeiffer
From: Daniel Pfeiffer @ 2004-03-12  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> skribis:

> >> Thank you.  I'm eager to see the new compile.el installed.
>
> > Encouraged by this eagerness, I'd formally submitted this weeks ago.
> > Stefan noticed a slight restriction with grep, which I sent a clean patch
> > for.  So what's keeping it from showing up in CVS?
>
> It's installed now.

Very good, but it's still minus my changelog and the news :-/

> PS: It would be more convenient if you had CVS write-access.

Maybe it would...  I've already found two characters I'd like to add to the
ant regexp, now that I have to use that tool.

best regards
Daniel

* Re: diff.el now uses diff-mode
@ 2004-03-14 14:17     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-03-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

    Encouraged by this eagerness, I'd formally submitted this weeks ago.  Stefan
    noticed a slight restriction with grep, which I sent a clean patch for.  So
    what's keeping it from showing up in CVS?

I thought Stefan said he was installing it.  Stefan, have you
installed it?