* compilation-scroll-output broken
@ 2004-01-12 15:50 Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-01-12 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard,

what was the motivation for this change?

2004-01-03  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

	* progmodes/compile.el (compile-internal): Use point, not point-min,
	for set-window-point.

It causes compilation-scroll-output to be ignored, as if it is always
non-nil.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: compilation-scroll-output broken
@ 2004-01-13 21:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-01-13 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    what was the motivation for this change?

    2004-01-03  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

	    * progmodes/compile.el (compile-internal): Use point, not point-min,
	    for set-window-point.

It fixed a bug where the actual output was not visible
because it was inserted in the buffer before the window start.
This occurred when the buffer was already displayed in another window.

* Re: compilation-scroll-output broken
@ 2004-01-21  0:28   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-01-21  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     what was the motivation for this change?
>
>     2004-01-03  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>
> 	    * progmodes/compile.el (compile-internal): Use point, not point-min,
> 	    for set-window-point.
>
> It fixed a bug where the actual output was not visible
> because it was inserted in the buffer before the window start.
> This occurred when the buffer was already displayed in another window.

Do you have a simple way to reproduce?  I can't remember having seen this
problem myself, and ignoring compilation-scroll-output looks like the more
serious bug.

@ 2004-01-21  7:52     ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2004-01-21  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     what was the motivation for this change?
>>
>>     2004-01-03  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
>>
>>          * progmodes/compile.el (compile-internal): Use point, not point-min,
>>          for set-window-point.
>>
>> It fixed a bug where the actual output was not visible
>> because it was inserted in the buffer before the window start.
>> This occurred when the buffer was already displayed in another window.
>
> Do you have a simple way to reproduce?  I can't remember having seen this
> problem myself, and ignoring compilation-scroll-output looks like the more
> serious bug.

I want to second this.

I am using for '*compilation*' 'special-display-buffer-names' (frame
height 20 lines) and I also have set 'compilation-scroll-output' set
to 't' but with my very long compile command line (7628 characters)
the buffer moves _not_ to the end and so I am not able to see whether
the compilation has finished. It moves to the end only for the first
time. Also without 'special-display-buffer-names' it looks better.

Harald

PS: Last check out was on 2004-01-19.

* Re: compilation-scroll-output broken
@ 2004-01-21 21:09     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-01-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > It fixed a bug where the actual output was not visible
    > because it was inserted in the buffer before the window start.
    > This occurred when the buffer was already displayed in another window.

    Do you have a simple way to reproduce?

It was mailed to one of the lists in something like November.  Sorry,
I am hardly even keeping up with mail so I can't afford to search for
it now.  But you should be able to find it.