* Re: lim_data too narrow
       [not found] <200312180058.hBI0wtaq054209@bigtex.jrv.org>
@ 2003-12-22  4:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-12-22  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    lim_data needs to be at least as wide as the rlimit .rlim_cur field or
    truncation occurs.

It would seem that on a 64-bit machine, lim_data should
be a 64-bit type.  Is there any agreement on how to
specify such a type in C?

We could use configure to check whether rlim_t is defined
in some header file.  What header file should it be in?

* Re: lim_data too narrow
@ 2003-12-22  6:17   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-22  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: james, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:07:56 -0500
>
> It would seem that on a 64-bit machine, lim_data should
> be a 64-bit type.  Is there any agreement on how to
> specify such a type in C?

Modern compilers should support the int64_t type (it is mandated by
the new C99 standard and should be defined on stdint.h).

> We could use configure to check whether rlim_t is defined
> in some header file.  What header file should it be in?

According to Posix, it should be in sys/resource.h.

* Re: lim_data too narrow
@ 2003-12-23  5:03     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-12-23  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: james, emacs-devel

    Modern compilers should support the int64_t type (it is mandated by
    the new C99 standard and should be defined on stdint.h).

Do we want it to be 64 bits on all machines?  I suppose it would
not do any great harm.

    > We could use configure to check whether rlim_t is defined
    > in some header file.  What header file should it be in?

    According to Posix, it should be in sys/resource.h.

In that case, let's make configure check that rlim_t is really
defined, and use it if it is defined.

* Re: lim_data too narrow
@ 2004-01-04 19:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-01-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: james, rms, emacs-devel

>> It would seem that on a 64-bit machine, lim_data should
>> be a 64-bit type.  Is there any agreement on how to
>> specify such a type in C?

> Modern compilers should support the int64_t type (it is mandated by
> the new C99 standard and should be defined on stdint.h).

Wouldn't something like size_t be preferable?