* emacs as back-end
@ 2003-11-02  0:28 Jaba Adams
From: Jaba Adams @ 2003-11-02  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I'd like to use emacs as a "back-end" for various GUI /
editor experiments. I'm new to emacs, and searching on
"embedding", "scraping", "tty", etc. hasn't yielded useful
results. I'd appreciate it if you could suggest some lines
of inquiry, based on my requirements.

Here's what I want to do:

- send keyboard / mouse input to emacs
- receive sufficient output from emacs to be able to
reconstruct what the user would see if emacs had been
running interactively up to that point
- do this with no visible emacs windows
- do this on a Windows 2000 / XP machine

I don't want to waste time writing editor functionality when
something as featureful as emacs is out there, but I do want
full control over the GUI.

Thanks for any help!

- Jaba

* Re: emacs as back-end
@ 2003-11-02 23:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-11-02 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Here's what I want to do:

    - do this on a Windows 2000 / XP machine

Whatever this is, it's a shame to do it on a proprietary operating
system such as Windows.  Why is using Windows part of your goals?  It
is a shame to develop any new capabilities that are only of use on
Windows, because they are only available to users who are willing to
give up their freedom and use Windows.